What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini Greenhouses... Effective?

I'm 100% new to this and I have very limited room in my yard. It's about 15' x 10' so I was thinking of getting one of these to grow my plants in. I'm thinking the winter nights are too cold here in Delaware to just leave the plant outside otherwise I would. Or am I just being over cautious and I don't need it at all? My first plants will be 2 VFTs if that can help answer my question. ???

your VFT's should be fine outside...most likely they will be entering dormancy when they arrive at your house. Tropical pitcher plants, latin name nepenthes, are the only ones that need a greenhouse. If you end up getting some, then a greenhouse would be just fine. I have a 6' by 6' by 6' greenhouse that suits them just fine.

VFTs need a winter dormancy anyways but not as cold as your winters get. I doubt there would be an effective way to keep it warm enough, not for only two plants that is...

Delaware?
hmmm..probably too cold to leave them outdoors in the winter..and probably too cold for the greenhouse to be effective..on a winter night when its 10 degrees outside, it might be 12 degrees inside the greenhouse, if you are lucky..actually, the "heat" that builds up from a sunny winter day will dissipate away in about an hour..by 7pm if its 10 degrees outside the greenhouse, it will also be 10 degrees inside the greenhouse..

there is a reason you dont see a lot of home/hobby greenhouses in the north east..they dont work! ;)
its just too cold..and you cant heat them in the winter either..unless you dont mind paying a grand or two a month for heat...

greenhouse is no good for VFT's in your climate..
you will have to do winter dormancy the way the rest of us do:
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page2.html

Scot

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

your VFT's should be fine outside...

maybe so! Delaware is zone 7..thats borderline for outdoor dormancy, but probably doable..
(when I typed my note above I was thinking Delaware was zone 6..should have checked a USDA zone map before I replied! ;)

under a heavy layer of pine mulch, they will probably survive outdoors..

Scot

Mine survive outside year round in my in ground bog.....mulched.

Huh, I was assuming temps would get colder. I guess I really only have one view on winter :lol:

Back