What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm builing a mini greenhouse to set outside of my window. The frame is 3feet wide and long and 2feet deep. I am going to put artificial lights in it. I will keep 3 different types of flytrap in it, a butterwort, a couple pitchers and 4 different types of sundews. What type of "walls" should I use for humidity and temperature etc.?

That depends on how much money you want to spend and what you want it to like. Anything that will hold in moister will work. How much sunlight do you want it to get? The materials can range from plastic, plexiglass, glass, tinted glass, ect. What did you build the frame out of?
Where do you live and are you going to heat it in the winter. In the summer it may better to just put your plants outside, if possible.

The frame is made of wood. I live in San Francisco and the temp fluctuates. Outside the window, my only window, where the plants will be sitting doesn't get alot of sun so I will be using artificial light. I think I will line whatever the walls are with aluminum foil so that they get as much light as possible. Should I think of heating the box? The usual temp around here right now is 50 to 60 f. Should I just go with the heat that the lamps give out? I still don't know what type of lighting I should use. I am looking at putting them in their new home in a week.
smile.gif

Sounds more like what I'd call a Cold Frame.  Do your temps get any lower than 50ºF to 60ºF?  Are your pitcher plants Nepenthes or Saracenias?  VFTs and most Sars. are quite commfortable at these and lower temps if they are used to them.  You should try to find out how little light the spot you are putting them in gets.  Even a little sunlight can raise the temp in a cold frame quite a bit.  You may find that you have as much trouble keeping it from getting too hot during the day as you do keeping it from getting too cool at night.

I would recommend buying large 20gal + transparent plastic boxes(Rubbermaid etc.) from stores like Walmart etc. Since you live in San Francisco, the climate is mild and humid enough to grow sarracenia outdoors year-round without protection. I would grow the sundews, small nepenthes and butterworts in individual pots placed in the plastic box. 50% shade is good. If there is a chance of frost, just move the box to a protected location. This type of setup works well from me in Los Angeles, CA.

since you live in San Fransisco, i would install a small fan into the "box" to keep air circulation, and to cool it off in the summer, just something you might want to do,
Kevin

Back