What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini critter keeper sling (viewable hide) setup

1" PVC cut to fit, glazed in silicone and rolled in eco-earth
IMG_4017.jpg

Vented lid with handle removed and larger holes sealed with silicone and covered in eco-earth
IMG_4019.jpg

View from the side of the critter keeper where you can see inside the hide
IMG_4023.jpg

Top down view
IMG_4027.jpg

Thanks for looking :D

Adding on, and making a few minor changes

I tried a 2" hydroponics mesh pot instead, cut a hole in the side and:
IMG_4029.jpg

Side view
IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

Top View
IMG_4038.jpg

Hm...is rolling the pipes in Eco Earth a good idea? I mean..it can't really be cleaned if it becomes soiled, right? Although I'm sure spiders don't produce waste like a lizard or snake, but still..that'd be an issue maybe? :scratch: Just a thought- I know nothing on spider care. It looks cool though!

Looks fine to me, just be sure to let the silicone air out for a week or so outside before introducing the spider to it. The VOCs of fresh silicone are not good for you or the critters to breathe. Spray the silicone/eco earth down with water a couple times too just to be sure.

Spiders generally are very clean critters, rarely making a small poo stain (usually white) and a "food bolus" which is leftovers from a meal (legs, wings, antennae, etc) all wadded up with strands of silk and usually hung in the same place all the time. My Chilean Rose just hangs it over the opening to her den as if to say "take out the trash please!", it's nice I can just take my tongs and grab it right out.

Back