What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini bog :d

i Just made a mini bog today. it has a 3 inch layer of Peat/Sand/Perlite and a 2 inch top layer of LFS.
i have mny questions.
1: Is the substrate ok?
2: What Plants can i put in it?
3: I live on Long Island, can i leave it out for the winter under a heavy layer of pine needles?
4: should i put holes in it for when it Rains?
Thanks in advanced,
Hellz

What is LFS? Only 5 inches deep.. You could probably plant Cephalotus, Sundews of almost any sort, Venus Flytraps, or Pinguicula (Butterworts). Any of the Sarracenia (pitcher plants) need more earth to get their roots into, though you could grow seedlings for awhile.

I dug a mini bog in front of my house a few years ago. It has about 18" of sand/peat mix so my pitcher plants can grow tall.

I don't know what LFS is, so I'm not sure your soil is okay.

It might survive the winter under a heavy layer of pine needles, but a good freeze could finish it. Of it's only 5" deep even a short freeze could freeze it to the bottom.

As for the holes, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If you're asking, "Should I put holes in just below ground level so that heavy rains won't leave my bog flooded for weeks?" - Yes! If you're asking "Should I leave holes so that rains will fill them and make open water - a small puddle there?" - No! I tried to leave a small puddle in my bog so I could see where the water level in the soil was, and so I could try to grow an aqatic Utricularia (Bladderwort). Raccoons invaded the bog and started digging up plants and pulling everything out of the puddle until I filled it in!

Hope this helps,

Ermine!

(Here's a picture I just took this week of one of my pitcher plants!)
ermineplant01.jpg

LFS is Long Fibered Spagnum
if i need to, i can remove a small poertion and the LFS layer and replace it with Peat to i can plant Pings. i think ill do that.
very nice pic!!!
i hope myn will be as succesful as yours

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ermine @ May 30 2004,10:39)]
ermineplant01.jpg
Is that a catesbaii? If not, does it have some purpurea in it? Anyway LFS= long Fibered Sphagnum moss
It is the kind of moss you usually get when you buy a VFT From Lowes

I believe it's just a S Leucophylla x Purpurea - Is that Gatesbey's? I think it may be. If so, yes, that's what I have there.

Back