What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mimosa pudica

I just had a birthday and I recieved a Mimosa as a gift. I had never heard of them before. They remind me of minitaure version of palm trees but when you touch the leaves, they shut, almost shy away from you. Absolutely the neatest thing I've seen since my first flytrap. I also got an everbearing lime tree which my hubby wants to put to good use in his beer, we'll see about that...

They also have pretty, pink flowers.

Really, Jim!? I just got the little guy. Now I have even more to look forward to! Do the flowers shy away from touch too or is that just limited to the leaves and stems?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Greenis @ June 14 2004,10:51)]Really, Jim!? I just got the little guy. Now I have even more to look forward to! Do the flowers shy away from touch too or is that just limited to the leaves and stems?
no, the flowers do not "shy" away.

People think the leaves close when you toutch them for a few reasons:
1. Nothing really wants to eat a wilty plant
2. When closed, it reveals all of the thorns.... That might shy away grazers

hehe those are weeds at my house. But despite my trying to get rid of them I've come to like them and I saved the last one and put it in a pot for my enjoyment.

Ahhhh I remember the days when I was little, those were so much fun to play with. And I must admit, they still are to this day. And they do have really pretty pink flowers. They kind of look like little pom poms.

Have fun playing with yours!
biggrin.gif

PS heres a link to pics of the flowers Mimosa

They dont grow in the wild around where I am, Ive never even seen one until just recently. The pictures of the flowers are lovely, I cant wait to see my plant bloom. My hubby insists that if I play with them too much they will die, but besides touching it the first day I got it and the occasional bump when trying to water it (and plants around it) I dont think Im disturbing it that much.

I did a little search on them after I posted. I guess they're not weeds (sorry about that, hope I didn't ruin your present
confused.gif
). I just must be "lucky" to have them invade my pretty lawn lol

As for touching them too much, I don't think it would hurt it to play with it some. I go by mine and touch it almost every day (hehe) and it doesn't seem to bother it. But I'm not an expert on them or anything so you should probably be mindful for any changes that don't look good.
smile_m_32.gif

Good luck!

Actually, they are considered invasive in Hawaii. But maybe in Indonesia people complain about neps sprouting up in the sidewalk...LOL

<<But maybe in Indonesia people complain about neps sprouting up in the sidewalk...LOL >>

hahaha ya know, I was thinking the same thing. I guess it all depends on where you live.

Though I wouldn't mind neps sprouting up in my sidewalk hehe

Back