What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mid-year repotting?

As I've posted in a few other threads, I'm going to be moving to Rhode Island this August, and obviously, I'm bringing my plants with me. However, that means fitting them in the car with me, which is obviously much easier if they're un-potted.

So, two questions:

1) How bad can I expect this to be for them? Obviously they'll be 'shocked', but if I'm careful and re-pot them fast, will they at least do fairly well for the rest of the season (they'll have a good 3 months to recover before winter)?

2) Are there any tricks to making this less traumatic for the plants?

'Shock' is a nice buzzword which makes people believe in the likes of Superthrive.

Sarracenia are tough and don't particularly mind being repotted at any time of year.

Red plants such as flava var. rubricorpora can lose some redness though, so I would just uproot these and wrap the peat in cellophane/clingfilm to reduce the chances of this.

When I moved from PA to WNY a couple Decembers ago I just bought the biggest cooler that Kmart had and put as many plants in there as I could and closed the cover. My minibog buckets of temeperates were left out of the cooler. All those dinky tropical and subtropical plants did fine. But maybe my collection lent itself to fitting in a large cooler...

I had bareroot plants shipped to me last summer and they're all waking up now from their winter snooze. They didn't do super great last summer, but then again most of the CPs didn't seem to like the drought and heatwave here so I don't know if shipping was an issue or not.

How many are we talking about here? Could you combine some of them into larger pots or maybe a small aquarium set up as a big planter that can be covered for protection? That would take up some space so it may not be ideal but if you're concerned with bareroot transport, I'd think that consolidating is the way to go-at least for your favorites.

Is August really 3 months before winter in New England?? You may not have as much of a growing season left as you're anticipating.

But I don't see bareroot as a problem.

Back