What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microhabitat preferences of drosera from brazil

It's a pity the authors didn't realize that I had already published what they call D.sp.1 and D.sp.2, respectively as D.grantsaui and D.viridis.

Also, I'm not sure why they used the name D.villosa var.villosa. It's rare to see variety names used in the villosa-complex. But since they chose to use it, it would be more appropriate to use D.villosa var.ascendens for the plants found in southern Brazil. The type D.villosa is only found in a small area of southern Minas Gerais state, while D.villosa var. ascendens (or simply D.ascendens as I prefer) is widespread on highlands of S & SE Brazil.

Fernando Rivadavia

I get a blank screen when I click on the link - and I DO have Acrobat Adobe. Are you guys referring to D. sp. Cuba 1? Does 'sp.' refer to species?

I could not read it from here(work) either.
Cripes, hopefully this won't turn into something that happens in the Nepenthes world where people try to describe things that have already been described.

Cheers,

Joe

The link works fine at my end. Yes "sp" is short for species, in this case the two unidentified Drosera species (D.sp.1 and D.sp.2) the authors found growing in the Tibagi River Valley. No relation to D.sp."Cuba", which if I'm not mistaken is D.intermedia. As for describing things that have already been described, it happens all the time in all plant families (animals, fungi, & others too!). That's why there are so many invalid names on the CP database!
smile.gif

Fernando Rivadavia

Jimscott, if you're having trouble loading the .pdf file, try saving the link. It works for me on Mozilla (and is the only way it works for me...).

Amori

It's a pity the authors didn't realize that I had already published what they call D.sp.1 and D.sp.2, respectively as D.grantsaui and D.viridis.

Also, I'm not sure why they used the name D.villosa var.villosa. It's rare to see variety names used in the villosa-complex. But since they chose to use it, it would be more appropriate to use D.villosa var.ascendens for the plants found in southern Brazil. The type D.villosa is only found in a small area of southern Minas Gerais state, while D.villosa var. ascendens (or simply D.ascendens as I prefer) is widespread on highlands of S & SE Brazil.

Fernando Rivadavia

Dear Fernando,

Here are the information about my article:
Received: January 22, 2002
Revised: July 29, 2003
Accepted: November 27, 2003

The description of Drosera grantsaui and D. viridis was only published at September 2003. I knew that they were new species, but as an ethical biologist, I didn't published them before.

The use of the name Drosera villosa var. villosa was the only available choice for the moment, as you well know.

Best wishes,

Dennis P. Saridakis
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1516-89132004000400001&script=sci_arttext

Last edited:
Back