What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican Ping dormancy

• Thread starter Sage269
  • Start date
I got my first ping in early October. It lives on a NE facing window sill, facing a huge white wall that is in full sun all day.
It has been growing great and flowering like crazy. In the last two weeks it went into dormancy. I would have expected this earlier in the year, is this normal?

I got my first ping in early October. It lives on a NE facing window sill, facing a huge white wall that is in full sun all day.
It has been growing great and flowering like crazy. In the last two weeks it went into dormancy. I would have expected this earlier in the year, is this normal?
My experience is they do whatever they feel like. I have two varieties of ping in the same pot, one is full carnivorous, the other succulent as heck. The shifting of phases is what the plant naturally does and I just try and follow its lead. (Trickier if there are two types on the same pot, but I don't stress it too much).

Of course if you have more details on the ping specifics, that might help folks weigh in a bit. E.g., gigantea seems to minimize the succulent phase, other species may require it for long-term health.

Here is the thread from when I first got it:

Unless it's a bulb-forming species, it's not a dormancy, just a different phase of active growth. It can be triggered by environmental conditions, or because our cultivated environments do not match the actual conditions of Mexico/Central America it's just triggered by the plant deciding it needs to change phases.

Here is a picture from today. This is not dormancy? Then I should start watering it again, yes?

Attachments

• 20220323_172226.jpg
    20220323_172226.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 3
No it's not dormancy, but no, that doesn't mean water it. That means it's growing in winter phase and is expecting drought conditions.

Back