What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mexican holiday

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico.... But as we know....the great ship did not make it to New York....The ship hit an iceberg and sank....and the cargo was forever lost....

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery....were disconsolate at the loss....

Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning which they still observe to this day. The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th.... and is known....of course....as Sinko de Mayo....

hopeless, just hopeless...
wink.gif

LIAR! Cinko de Mayo Is the mexican independence day! Sinko meaning 5, and Mayo meaning May!!
mad.gif
another one of Ozzys lies!

uh,  Spec, it's spelled Cinco.  
smile.gif

(& I thought it was a pretty good story
wink.gif
)

Spec you always seem to be getting yourself in trouble.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

biggrin.gif
Thats a good one!

Jerry

Ozzy, as a liar you are improving, but slowly.  Posts like this are dangerous though, because you demonstrate that you are indeed skilled at the art of verbal illusion, and when you really need a lie to work, no one will buy it.  What you now need to do is find a way to tell the truth about something which NOBODY will ever believe, and then be able to prove it absolutely.  From there you can graduate to the ultimate lie: telling the exact truth, and deceiving everyone in the process.
Then, you can get into politics or religion.

I could tell my life story and nobody here will belive a word of it.
We should start a game. I'll tell 3 stories then well have a poll on which story is the true one.

I'd like to take credit for the story above but I cut and pasted it from an email that was sent to me by another cp'er.
I knew it woould get a few laughs.

i have to completely back ozzy's story tellin abilities, he has more stories/life stories than the mother goose! whenever we hang out i alway prepare my self and strap on some "depends" 'cause i know that there is more than a "change" of an accident. *tinkle tinkle*
wow.gif

xDouglasx

ps-mark->we gots to hit up some bogs soon!

Doug, where have you been? I started thinking that you must have been attacted by another gummy bear.
We're going to hit some bogs very soon. I have tried to call Nick but he hasn't returned my call. Maybe the gummy bears got him too.

Hmmm...maybe we should start a thread called "Truth or Lie". People could post a short story and we could all see if we can guess which ones are true or not. Sort of like the old game show "To Tell the Truth."

Ozzy...I think you should start it. hehe
smile.gif

Hey, let me know when you bunch of crazies are going to do some bog hopping, I might just try my old thumb and see if it still has the magic.

Good...you can start with the bogs in my backyard. hehehehe
cool.gif

The TRUE story of Cinco de Mayo (As told by a Puerto Rican
tounge.gif
).

Basically, back in the 1860's Mexico owed quite a lot of money to France and several other European nations, who wanted to be paid back. Unfortunately, Mexico was still too poor to be able to, so France and several allies declared war and invaded. The US would have stopped this citing the Monroe Docterine, but we had a lot on hands, what with the CIVIL WAR. Anyway, After a while they had most of the country under their control, so they basically installed a puppet emperor to rule Mexico called Iturbide. After a few years the Mexicans rose up and, like every other nation on Earth, kicked French butt. The Empire was declared null and void and the French pulled out on May 5th. Hence the celebrations. Cinco De Mayo is actually Spanish for 5th of May (For the benefit of those unversed in Spanish).

I actually once heard a rather funny joke on the subject: "SO What's Cinco De Mayo?"
"Oh, It's when we defeated the French."
"Well, who hasn't? But hey, if margaritas are half-price I'm all about your Cinco de Mayo!"
biggrin.gif

Back