What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal halide

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow
G

I got the metal halide fixture yesturday for $400. It's suspended 6' above my plants within a 6' by 6' growing area. I hope they'll grow better now
smile.gif

What kind of MH did you get? How many watts, bulb color temp, etc?

I got a "Hydro Farm" 1000 watt metal halide fixture (with a heavy a** ballast) that came with a bulb that combines metal halide and hps spectrums. It's from "AGROSUN" and it puts out 118,500 lumens, and a lot of heat. I needed to get another humidifier just to keep the room in the 50% humidity range
confused.gif
. Seems to work really well though
smile.gif
. If it only had less yellow in the light though...

I just got the new Marine Depot catalog and it has some good looking MH bulbs. None are "cheap" though, as you already know but if you would like a different color check out their online selection! I'm going to be using an 250W Iwasaki 6500K MH bulb over my lowland grow chamber. This bulb has a rather decent color but when I need to buy a replacement I might go for a 10,000K to get a crisper/whiter slightly bluish color.

I think you might find the 10k just slightly too blue for plant growth swords. I really only like them for my reef acounts.
Id say stick with the 6500k.
Say Ragnarok Id suggest you look into an air cooled hood for that. If Im not mistaken is there not a 4" hole you can punch out on either side of the Hydrofarm hoods?
Then all youd need would be a blower and a peice of glass. And some flexible ducting and appropriately sized hose clamps.
Running an air cooled lamp will give you a much greater ability to control the humidity with less effort.

Peace

Thanks khai, I'll look into that. As it stands, I'm trying to keep the temps 80F and bellow during the day, but the darn light is just so hot
mad.gif
. So, I open my windows here in Alaska (20F outside), and that helps a little, but it's still too hot, and is assisting in draining the humidity, so I can't open it too far. With TWO cool mist humidifiers running in a 12' square room, I'm barely retaining 50% humidity. It can't go on like this....

I'd say go spend $40.00 for an ultrasonic humidifier. That should clear up ALL humidity issues.

Wow. Talk about bringing the sun up to Alaska with you... Can you tan in that room?

Um, Seriously now though... How much will that bring your hydro bill up? How many plants are you using this light for? I assume it covers the entire room...

You know what comes next?

Knock knock,

Who's their ?

The police, we have a warrant to search the premises.

Seedling your statement is NONSENSE!
Ive posted in response to this attitude previously.

A 1000w costs about a 1.20 US/day to run in my area.

Aircooling is really easy if you just put it all on paper.
Draw out the plan and make a parts list.
Then youll minimize trips to the store.
for a 1000w youd probably want 2 265cfm blowers, one on the intake and one on the exhaust.

Peace

Thanks Khai I needed a good laugh, it cracks me up to get flamed over a harmless joke.

Frankly I don't know what "attitude" your commenting on but I would think realistically even if I had not been joking it is a distinct possibility that a high intensity light might raise some eyebrows.

I cant speak for where you live,however here in Ontario every 2nd week we have houses that are being raided for illegal grow operations allot of these are in some of the most affluent neighbourhoods.

Personally I live in a Condo and I have packages and envelopes ( seeds, gemmae and supplies) being sent in from all over the world at the moment and I also have a 70 Wyatt HPS light that gives my bedroom a nice glow from outside. I would not be surprised if I get a knock one day.

How do you think us with greenhouses feel? I certainly don't want them busting down the door to do a search b/c of "growlights" raising curiosity.

If you feel you were being flamed Im sorry that you percieved it in that manner, it was not meant that way.
A flame is a personal attack.  

Im fully aware of the situations in Canada.
The people being busted are generally not running one lamp.
They are usually idiots trying to run massive operations in their basement with people moving in and out all the time.
The "Pot house" is quit prevelant in ontario.
Your talking about a very different situation.

If the year was 1980 i might tell some of you to worry. but its not now is it.

I would be incredibly suprised if YOU get a knock some  day.
Im sure the police would love to bust you for your 70 watt HPS. LOMFL!

Talk about making one laugh!

Good Day

Just dropping in as a Mod to tell everyone to play nice. I know that this topic has not degenerated but there looks to be the potential if somebody took something the wrong way. I know that nothing here was meant as an attack I just want to make sure everybody else recognizes that too.

And on a more humorous note, even people without HPS/MH systems can and do get searched. I had the cops stop by my place and ask to search because of all the fluorescent tubes I was running. Now granted they had just busted a guy next door and you could see al the tubes through the window. They were nice about it though and there has not been a problem since.

That is funny Pyro, I can imagine the look on their faces when they saw your collection of cp's.

I have one friend that was visited in 1982 by the DEA when he first got his greenhouse up and running.
He is an avid Orchid grower so they got more than they bargained for, He gave them all plants and a quick lesson on how to care for them.
Who knows whether they ever survived.

Peace

Hmm... temps reached 55F, and humidity still hanging around below 50%. Just glad I have some hardy lowlanders. Are there any cool bulbs for metal halides?

Khai, I don't think you have to worry.  Those DEA guys are pretty tough.  (j/k)

Yeah theyll come bearing cut orchids!

Ragnarok when you say cool i assume you mean Kelvin rating.
Yes many.
If you mean in heat output the only way to get a cooler temps is to air cool or water cool, aside from that the only thing to do is run a lower wattage system.

Hmm. The light doesn't seem as bright as before. Or maybe it's just me.

Back