What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Media Help

Hey everyone i need a bit of help i bought some nortene kiwi moss and some perlite do i have to wet the moss or can it crumble because is kinda hard in a brick form at the moment any ideas ?

Depending on how big and how compressed the block is you might regret wetting down the whole block at once.

If you want chopped moss crumble some off before wetting. If you want longer strands gently pull or saw some off before wetting.

oh ok so it cant be crumbled in with the perlite then i guess it must have to be wet to add perlite

If you have some 1/4" aluminum screen you can rake the compressed dry material across it and get it shredded into small pieces without wetting it. I do this with handfulls of compressed coir that I break off my 5 cu ft bale. I like blending media dry as well. Just be sure you pull your shirt over your nose and mouth or wear a respirator cos you don't want this stuff in your mucus membranes.

Wow, I have never heard of "Kiwi Moss"

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Kiwi Moss?

I googled it!

its a brick of dried compressed Sphagnum..
looks like its only available in the UK..

"Nortene" is the company name.
"kiwi" is some kind of made-up brand name, (perhaps it comes from Australia?)
the next word, (that ILMP forgot to add, thus creating much confusion ;) ) is "sphagnum"..
then the last word is "moss"..

Nortene Kiwi Sphagnum moss

the first two words are meaningless..
its just regular old Sphagnum..which is good.

Scot

Kiwi is common slang for a New Zealander ;)

Back