What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Media for Proboscidea or Ibicella

Cindy

Staff member
Some seeds are on their way here in the mail so I am trying to get the pots ready. What should I use?

1. Peat and sand?
2. Cactus mix?
3. Garden soil (a mixture of clay, loam, sand and likely manure)?

Thanks loads!!

I use miracle gro or any soil is fine ( I think ) I gave my grandma 5 seeds and 4/5 germinated in clay, sadly 2 died from squirrals.

I think the media can be widely varied, but point me wrong if i am.

You can use a variety of soil. They will benefit from fertile soil, however. I recommend using fertile garden soil with a little bit of perlite.

I read that treating them like tomatoes or cucumbers works very well. So that should give you an idea.

yeah ive got some i transplanted into my garden....slow growers here sadly, they dont appreciate the cold nights or something.

Thanks, everyone. I ran a search on the local gardening forum for media used for tomatoes here and found that they use peat, vermiculite and perlite. The weather here is likely to be conducive for the Devil's Claw since it is lowland conditions year round. :)

You would need either very deep pots or be planted directly into the ground.

Thanks, Jimscott. Deep pots it will be, 'cos I have no ground...I live in a high rise apartment. ;)

I have mine in the garden, which is almost pure clay, with some manure mixed in for fertilizer. They're already 2 feet across, more or less. They do like root space, and I think the garden soil will work fine. I did have 10, but down to 5, since I kept them too wet, so i wouldn't do the peat/sand idea. I hope ya have a deck or something, since they sure stink, and I probably wouldn't bring them inside unless it got unusually cold!( Which never happens in June anyway.) Good luck!

Aslan

Back