What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maxsea 16-16-16 for Neps (how much/gallon?)

I know it needs to be 1/4 strength, but what I have is a Maxsea sample packet that's 1/2 ouce with no instructions, so I don't know what 1/4 strength is.

Should I use 1 tsp or 1 tbsp per gallon for Neps, or what?

1/2 teaspoon is 1/4 strength. full strength is 2 teaspoons a gallon.

It doesn't NEED to be 1/4 strength. I can understand if you're just starting out, but many of us here use it up to full strength with fantastic results. A lot of it depends on how much sunlight your plants are getting. The higher the sunlight levels the more fert the plants can process.

Personally, I use 1 tablespoon per gallon 2x per month. I find it to be very mild. My experience only.

The safest bet for most growers is still one-quarter strength for all fertilizers (including Maxsea 16:16:16), for the very reason that cultivation practices vary a great deal among growers -- in terms of watering frequency, light availability, and the variable health of the plants themselves. The diluted fertilizers are also the safest for Nepenthes and Heliamphora seedlings, where full strength would serve to "cremate" them.

I have grown these plants for years and have had excellent results with the lowered concentrations -- without any casualties . . .

Personally, I use 1 tablespoon per gallon 2x per month. I find it to be very mild. My experience only.
Applied:
- as foiliar spray?
- as root drench?
- within individual pitchers?

Applied primarily as a root drench Ron..even on very small seedlings and have never lost a single plant to 'cremating'. Again..I grow my plants in fast draining media in a greenhouse in very high light. The plants are typically watered 2 to 3 times per week so there is a degree of flushing of the growing mix going on.

If I use it at half or quarter strength, would it burn any Drosera, Utricularia or Pinguicula that happen to get caught in the overspray?

If I use it at half or quarter strength, would it burn any Drosera, Utricularia or Pinguicula that happen to get caught in the overspray?

I casually grow some Drosera in the same shallow tray as my Neps... I can say that my D. admirabilis have increased in size, as have my D. tokaiensis. I never actually thought that it would harm them, anyways.

Back