What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mars close to the earth.

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    email

Ant

Your one and only pest!
I just got this email from my grandfather. Is this true!?! :-O

"In August, Mars will be closer to the earth than is has been for several thousand and will be for several thousand years. You’ll be able to see it with the naked eye and according to this .pps, it will appear about the same size as a full moon. Can’t wait!"

If that's true, it will be a cool birthday present! Either that or it will scare the crap out of me.

No.
When that did happen, back in 2003, you needed a telescope to see it at that size. Cool, but still false.

Well I just found out that too :p

This reminds me of when I was a kid my uncle said "Saturn will be closer than it has been in XXXXXX years, it'll be right outside the window". I had a dream that night where I woke up and the rings of Saturn were hovering in the air outside my bedroom window filling my room with blue light. It was a weird dream.

Then a day or so later he showed me a speck in his telescope, somehow the idea was no longer magical. :D

This reminds me of when I was a kid my uncle said "Saturn will be closer than it has been in XXXXXX years, it'll be right outside the window". I had a dream that night where I woke up and the rings of Saturn were hovering in the air outside my bedroom window filling my room with blue light. It was a weird dream.

Then a day or so later he showed me a speck in his telescope, somehow the idea was no longer magical. :D

lol. Slightly different, but when I was around 5 or 6 I would swear on my life that the sky used to be purple and I witnessed it changing to blue while driving in the backseat of my Mom's car. I guess it was just one of those very realistic dreams (I can still very well remember "what I saw" today).

In 2003 or 2004 Mars was closer than it had been in 86,000 years or something like that. It will never be the size of the moon, but you can already see Mars with the naked eye.

xvart.

You can always see Mars with the naked eye when it's above the horizon, and not cloudy.:slap:
You just have to know where to look.

I remember that a few years ago. It was neat. But the size of the Moon? Lol...

Back