What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a Minibog/Bigpot

Well, I know I'm only 6 months growing, but I thought it would be good to try a minibog. First, I bought a durable plastic pot (red). I got a gallon of peat and a gallon of 1:1 peat/perlite mix from :censor: as well as a medium S. Flava, medium S. "Dana's Delight", and larger S. Rubra from :censor:, who I always order from because of their fantastic plants and clumps. Originally, I wanted to order from :censor: because the Sarrs were cheap there, but they were not what I wanted and I did not trust the guy who was selling them either. It's a long story. Instead, I just got 3 plants that are as good as 6-8 (because they are ready to be divided next spring) which are more than enough to fill my "bog" with my S. Judith Hindle. The minibog (or what I like to call bigpot) is very long and around 6 inches wide. It's a 2-gallon pot that is around 4-5 inches deep. I could easily fit 12 Sarrs in there when lined up, and maybe even 20-40 if scrambled all around. Anyways, I bought durable because it doesn't hold heat as much as a normal container and is more, well, durable. Wish me luck! The soil arrives on Wednesday, and the plants could come on Friday or Monday. I hope not Monday because I'm getting my braces off that day. I really hope it doesn't come later than July 20th, because I'm celebrating my birthday by going to Vegas on the 24th (my birthday). A couple of friends and I are going to watch Penn & Teller. We're staying there for 3 days, so it would stink if something should happen to my shipping-shocked plants between that time.

4-5" deep is too shallow for Sarrs :p That's why most people's minibogs are very deep pots, and why pots for adult Sarrs are single-gallon sized ones that are roughly 7" deep. If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure someone will correct me, but that's what I've always seen and heard.

Getting your braces off won't take all day, so if it comes that day, you have no worries, unless you plan on going out to buy a box of gum and caramel apples and eating yourself into a sugar coma XD

I actually measured, and I was waaaaay off. The pot is around 9 and a half inches deep. Also, I was planning on spending the day with my father so, won't be home until late.

Whoaaaaa, 9" is good then.

Ohh, yeah, that'd be a bummer then.

Whatever you do, do not stop wearing your retainers.

Why? And I have to wear this weird thing at night.

Why is 9" good? Because Sarrs have pretty long roots, and deeper than the minimum is a good thing.
Why would it be a bummer? Because your plants would be stuck sitting in a box for that much longer.
Why should you wear your retainers? Because your teeth will move. I thought I could get away with it but after years, I've a slight front bite and faint gaps between my incisors again (although, I can't floss them with a fork anymore, thank god). It drives me crazy.

4-5" actually isnt too shallow....deeper is better yes, but i have seen truly gorgeous, massive, and healthy specimens grown in typical plastic pots...
my minibogs hover around 7" deep i think?
most of my sarracenia are in the 5-9" deep area and do great, though they are a bit behind in growth from the crappy spring we had haha.
Good luck with your minibog Burnt, you can never start one too early into the hobby, they are great fun :)

Also, what happens if a Sarr doesn't have a deep enough pot? My Judith Finn is crammed in this tiny thing, although I will repot it into the bog.
Also, that's the problem. That's why I want it to come on Friday.
I saw the thing, it looks funny. It keeps me from tongue thrusting (my tongue goes forward and pushed my teeth when I breathe and swallow).
Anyways, I'll be sure to wear my retainer. How long do I have to wear it?

SirKristoff, feel free to call me Ro, it's easier. Also, my friends told me that bogs were hard to care for. A bigpot's fine in my book.

Burnt - you mean judith hindle right? Judith Finn is a nep hybrid.
generally smaller pots just mean it will get rootbound faster...

Eh, it's just not good for root development, I don't think, although SK has just said otherwise..Healthy roots are important for a healthy plant.
Okay, lol.
I don't know what device you're speaking of. I'm sure I learn about it eventually (going to school for dental hygiene), but as far as I know, you have to wear it nightly. I don't like to think that you have to forever, but years later, my hygienist still asks if I wear my retainer, so I would have to think otherwise.

Rootbound, what's that? And also, I'd actually prefer Ro if that's ok with you. I go by that nickname. Obviously, you can't make BurntSnow an acronym (wrong choice of first letters :p), but Ro just makes me feel more comfortable.

the roots wrap up around the pot and basically take over the entire thing Lol....no room for additional root growth, soil dries out super fast because of the root to soil ratio, its just a whole load of nasty BS...
so while it is possible to grow healthy plants in pots less than 9" deep, and most people do if its an single potted plant, then go with a bigger pot....minibogs need to be deep anyway IMO

Glad that I have a good pot. Either way, there's a lot of room.

Back