What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a basement grow room

Hello all,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions/ advice. Up until now I have grown all my plants in terrariums using compact florescent lighting or florex lighting. However I will be moving from my small condo into a nice large house and I want to set-up a grow room.

The house has a small room located in the basement that would be perfect. I am thinking of buying a metal halide light to use as the light source. Does any one have a suggestion as to good brand ?

I was looking at a 400 Wyatt agro sun model in a magazine it said it will bathe a 4'x4' area with intense light. It did not mention lumens but I am thinking I might look for some thing stronger. With MH lighting how high above the plants does one hang the light?

I also plan to cover the walls of the growing area in Mylar and if more humidity is required I have a cool mist humidifier I can use.

Any other tips or suggestions with setting up a grow room would be appreciated.

Andre

I have a grow room in my basement. I covered the walls with visqueen and have a humidifier to keep the humidity up. I live in a very old home with a drafty basement, some areas are below freezing. My grow room runs cool in the winter and hot in the summer. I have highland conditions in winter and lowland condition in summer.

If you are very serious about maintaining pefrect conditions you may need to consider heating and cooling. The light kicks out a lot of heat. Some lights have an optional cooling attachment that uses dryer duct and a fan which should help with cooling.

I would set it up, let it run and see what you need to add to the mix. If your home is new your basement temps should be pretty stable unlike my home.

Get a temp/RH monitor so you can record hi's and low's. This will be your best tool in determinig what you need to add to the mix to keep your plants happy.

Thats my two cents. Hope this helps.

Glenn

Hi Andre,

with your basement, you should be able to control your temperature without any problem, and your humidity shouldn't be a problem that much either (my basement is very humid, and my grow room is in one corner). We made a small chamber about 6'x4', but the wall don't go up to the ceiling (there is a 6" space). The lamp has been installed vertically, and 3 shelves are on each wall, right and left. The plants needing more light are placed on the highest shelves, and the one which need less are on the ground (Fresher temps there too). The lamp is about 4' from the ground, and right at the level of the highest shelves with plants.

With this setup, I've optimized my space and the light, and I made climb a Vanilla pompona plant on the opposite wall, with few Nepenthes in hanging pot. The lamp is a little in the way when you want to water tough... A muffin fan was placed on the ceiling, pushing the air down to the ground, working 24/7.

I highly recommend PL Lights, Ive used these for years with no problems.
They also claim (I agree) to have the most efficient reflector on the market.
Oh they do make an air cooled hood in case your wondering.

Back