What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lucky Bamboo

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I have a friend who just got some 'Lucky Bamoo' and she was asking about cultivation and care. Since PFT used to carry it I figure someone here has grown in. Could you offer advice?

Thanks

Pyro

I have a lot of luck bamboo, though I've been told there is nothing lucky about it. It is just plain old bamboo. Anyway... I keep it in a glass jar w/ quarter size rocks, to keep the bamboo in place. Fill the jar up w/ water, and your set. It is the easiest plant to care for. It does not like a lot of sun, or too much shade. Indirect light is the best way to go. Good luck, I hope your friend enjoys, and hope they find some luck in the bamboo!
biggrin.gif

It is actually Dracaena instead of a real bamboo. Here are a few webs sites for her to check out.

Bamboo 1

Bamboo 2

wink.gif
I give them a bit of superthrive now and then. They also don't mind being in soil, and are really tough to kill.

Anyone know where to get real Bamboo?

There's a huge bamboo plant a few hundred feet from my house... and I also have a "dwarf" bamboo in a large pot. I personally don't like the stuff since it grows so d@mn fast. There are places online that sell lots of different kinds of bamboo too. Just do a search on google.

Joel™

We get MASSIVE bamboo here, it's like 20cm (8 inches?) in diameter.
I used to have an aquarium stand built out of the stuff and making bamboo furniture is quite a big industry here.

There is tons of the stuff growing around the place but my attitude is similar to Joel's, it's a weed.

Cheers, Troy.

Yeah i agree with Troy and Joel. My aunt's neighbor grows that and its so massive and grows so fast they dont like it anymore because its like a weed.

There's some more care info on the Dracaena bamboo in the other 'bamboo' topic just bumped to the top. Check it out.
smile.gif

Chris

Back