What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland Hybrids

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
Are neps like merilliana or insignis true lowlanders? Do those require extreme heat? I'm not much of a lowland person, but I liked those two. I do well with highlanders, but my temps don't get up to lowland standards. Would they die in highland conditions with 74-78F days and 64-68F nights? My terrarium in my greenhouse gets up to 95F when covered, but it cools down to the greenhouse air temperature at night. When I get my heater, I'll move all the neps out, and that should keep it at 47.5F at the coldest part of the night during winter, but it will probably be 50s or 60s at night in the summer. Just curious if I'd be able to keep any lowlanders. Are hybrid lowlanders more forgiving temperature-wise than pure species? ???

I dont know from personal experence if that will work but one thing that I have see is where people will section off a part of their greenhouse with insulation plastic and place a small heater. That way that one small section can be kept at lowlander levels where the rest of the greenhouse is cooler. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks. The two I'm interested in seem like lowland-intermediate... Now sure exactly how hot they would want to be. If anyone has personal experience, let me know. I found a few big neps I really liked but they were all lowlanders. I want to know if I would be able to keep them in pitchering condition I guess.

I dont know from personal experence if that will work but one thing that I have see is where people will section off a part of their greenhouse with insulation plastic and place a small heater. That way that one small section can be kept at lowlander levels where the rest of the greenhouse is cooler. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks. I really don't want to run a heater so much, which is why I went with keeping highlanders. Most of the year it stays in the 70s, which would put it in the 80s for most of the day in my greenhouse. Only a few weeks in the year are above 90F, which is when I would use the swamp cooler that I'm going to purchase soon. The only way I can see myself keeping lowlanders is if they will tolerate the coldest nights during the year, which will be around 50F with the heater on. I'll only need the heater in Winter because it's usually in the 50s at night late spring through early fall.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

No personal experience with any lowland-intermediates? I kinda need to know soon because the deal is about to go away. :)

N. merilliana and insignis are huge plants. I've had experience with N. insignis and can confirm that it like it hot. It fusses when it gets towards the 60s. I've never worked with N. merilliana before, but it's picky about its conditions, and massive.

N. merilliana prefers the intermediate side of lowland. Nights into the mid sixties F are fine, but long term exposure to nights into the low fifties will result in a decline in health. Also, they do not like to me moved around. They like to establish in their micro-climate and not suffer any change.
And they do get large when grown in the right conditions.

Didn't get the plant. It went for $0.50 more than my maximum bid. :blush:

Back