What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Love/hate relationship with

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
These pc's are getting on my nerves. I can't live with them and I can' live without them! Reminds me of something else, but....

Anyways, a few months ago our home pc was acting funky. The EarthlinkTotal Access 2004 was blocking a couple of friends and no matter how many times I checked the box for moving to Inbox and adding to the Address Book, they remained blocked.

Then MSN IM wanted me to do an update before it would allow me to login. I would go through the motions, taking a half hour, and when I got to the end, it would tell me it couldn't update because of errors it couldn't repair. No matter how many times I tried to update, I would have to play their game. Eventually, I uninstalled it entirely and got the updated 7.0 Beta.

The pc would also seize up partway through startup and wouldn't respond to CTRL Alt Del or depressing the power button. I had to unplug it from the wall outlet.

Finally, my computer geek son suggested it was time for a clean re-install (re-boot). So I entrusted this process to him, since je has done this several times on his hand-me-down pc. I asked him to save to disk the address book and the Inbox folders with important info, as well as My Documents and the programs.

So he uninstalled and re-installed. Unfortunately, he dragged, but did not save the intended things and all was lost. But the frinds that were previously blocked, no longer were. We installed Earthlink Total Access2005 and discovered that there were a few problems. Unlike before, where I could "leave copy on server" from the Outlook Express and be able to see the opened Email at work, I no longer could. Nothing I did with the settings allowed me to see opened messages. I ended up copy & pasting Emails to TF Notes and copying it back to a fresh Email at work.

Every time I checked my Email, it tells me there is some sort of password error. I did the online chat with 2 different Earthlink techs and both said I just needed to uninstall the Earthlink 2005 and then re-install. Neither time did it accomplish anything except tick people off because my Spamblocker catches their Email and forces them to apply to be let into my Inbox.

Yesterday I had the bright idea of going into Outlook Express and see if I can check my Email at work, separately from Earthlink Webmail Messaging. That succeeded in screwing up my ability to send an Email successfully. I can receive just fine, but when I send, it comes back to me like an old Elvis Presley record.

MSN IM also has another update and before it allow me to use IM, I have to do the update. But it can't be updated. So now I can't use IM at all.

I hate computers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif

Rant over.

yep these glorified calculators are a royal pain in the rear

Your outlook problem is likely configuration... You probably have the pop3 (incoming mail server) set correctly but the smtp (outgoing mail server) set wrong.
With msn messanger, you may be best off to just go to the remove/install screen and uninstall msn messenger then go to the website here And click on the "go" under "registered msn users" and reinstall it... Alot of the time with updating messengers that are having problems i find that to be the easy way arround it. the good thing is your buddy lists and such are saved on msns server. so you don't need to save anything., Just need to know your email addy and password. good luck with it all! ...man
i looooove computers :-D
Andrew

Andrew... thanks a bunch!!!!!  
smile.gif
And believe-it-or-not, I understood all that. Yes, I DO use POP3 and I'll check into the smtp setting. I tried, this morning, to look at things before I went to work and there was something in the send part of the settings that looked like it needed me to enter my Email address. So I did.

Yeah, the first time MSN gave me the runaround, I uninstalled and re-installed. Looks like I'll have to do it again.

Back