What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Lost world' found in jungle

'Lost world' found in jungle

Tuesday, February 7, 2006; Posted: 7:33 a.m. EST (12:33 GMT)

OSLO, Norway (Reuters) -- Scientists say they have found a "Lost World" in an Indonesian mountain jungle, home to dozens of exotic new species of birds, butterflies, frogs and plants.

"It's as close to the Garden of Eden as you're going to find on Earth," said Bruce Beehler, co-leader of the U.S., Indonesian, and Australian expedition to part of the cloud-shrouded Foja mountains in the west of New Guinea.

More...

In related news, Halliburton was awarded a no-bid contract to pave it...

saw that, if someone finds a site with a bunch of pictures i would really be interested, ive just seen a couple of the bird pics so far.

new neps?

On the t.v., I saw some pretty cool pics of new frog, leamur, and some sorta pig thingy species. They were talking about it on the news.

-Ben

I heard about it on the news today and my first thought was maybe there will be new nep or sundew. We need to hurry and get a collection, The bush admin. has already sent an oil research expidition.

There are oil deposits there?
or are you joking

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There are oil deposits there?
or are you joking

He's joking. Well, for all we know, there could be oil deposits, but neither the Bush administration nor their oil research expeditions have any business in the mountains of Indonesia.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He's joking. Well, for all we know, there could be oil deposits, but neither the Bush administration nor their oil research expeditions have any business in the mountains of Indonesia.

We don't have any business in Iraq either, but we're there.

There is a lot of unexplored Nep country there-I would be surprised if there was none in this area they just found.

Cheers,

Joe

The national geographic site has five good pictures, can't find much more. Here it is: National Geographic

Zac

I like this quote about Nepenthes possibilities:

"The dripping moss forests of the Foja Mountains are one of the last places on Earth where humans have failed to make an imprint,"

Cheers,

Joe

Chances the next spectacular species like N. Hamata or Jacqueleniae will be found there, or in a similar area seems probale. Whatever it is though, It will be difficult, at least where I live (stupid Georgia summers....)

I know what you mean Slurm,those 90f-100f+ summers
smile_h_32.gif

Jerry

Maybe Jimmy Carter can chop down the trees to make plastic..
Maybe Nixon can build an airport there..(yes, I know he is dead..it doesnt matter..)
I hear Robert Moses wants to build an expressway through it..

just thought I would add to the irrelevant political BS in this thread..hmmm..its oddly unfullfilling..and incredibly lame, boring and pointless...I dont see why people bother..
mad.gif

Scot

I think Jimmie Carter would clear the land and plant peanuts.

Maybe Clinton could build a brothel?
Ted Kennedy could erect a drivers ed course?

We all could co on and on, I have to agree with Scotty, oddly unfullfilling.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Feb. 07 2006,11:57)]I think Jimmie Carter would clear the land and plant peanuts.
I like peanuts...

AH SCREW LAND DEVELOPMENT!!!!!!!!! i think this should be the one place on earth that hasnt been ruined by man. as in man i mean not the locals....they can live there
ALLOSAURZ: I like peanuts too but you grow them in georgia(SLURM!!!!!!!!!)
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Feb. 07 2006,6:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He's joking.  Well, for all we know, there could be oil deposits, but neither the Bush administration nor their oil research expeditions have any business in the mountains of Indonesia.

We don't have any business in Iraq either, but we're there.
Maybe I spend too much time on political forums, but i am always amazed that comments like that don't precipitate a 13-page flamewar!

Kudos to this site for NOT doing that.

Back