What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lord of the Rings

So, who went to see the movie last night? I DID and LOVED it! I got in the first showing, 12:01 AM this morning. I went with a bunch of buddies and we had a blast!

Personally, I think it is the best of the three movies. My favorite part is always right before the cavalry charges, when the troops are getting all psyched up. That's just awesome.

So, who else saw it, and what did you think?

SF

I read the books many years ago, and just re-read them again recently to refresh my memory. It really is one of the best screen adaptations ever, and now, thanks to technological advances in visual effects, the film can do justice to the books. I remember hearing about it being optioned by producers as far back as the seventies (Walt Disney wanted to make the picture back in the 60's), and only a few lame, incomplete attempts were made. Peter Jackson has a wonderful storytelling sensibility, flair for characters, and a good handle on the technical aspects of digital special effects. Most of all, he obviously has a love for the material, and remained about as true to it as could be done. And Miramax really stuck their necks out on doing three, three hour movies. The marketing department must have thought it was crazy. ("What! Three hours! Who do you think you are, James Cameron!?! We'll only be able to pack the theaters twice a night instead of the normal three times. The exhibitors will never buy into it!"). Glad to see you liked it, Corey. Michelle and I will probably go before the weekend to beat the crowds.

Trent

I'm going to have to dis my wife to go see it. Very little chance I'll be able to get her to go....I guess I could always tell her to just take a nap
rock.gif

I cried, I shook and I laughed. I love these movies. I have read LOTR some 15 times over my lifetime, The Silmarillion 5 times, and I was well pleased with what was produced here. I have every scrap published by the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. These are probably the best movies I have ever seen, BUT I must respectfully disagree. Nothing can ever compare to Tolkien's writing, or to these books, nor ever will! It is a great movie and it left an echoing question in my mind:

What the heck effect did they use to make the Nazgul screech?

I am going to see it over vacation. This makes me that much more excited to go see it!
smile.gif

Cole

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What the heck effect did they use to make the Nazgul screech?

Hehehe!  That would sure be interesting to know!

SF

Peter Jackson has used the exact same sound effect in one of his other films. I know he uses a lot of the same people on his pictures, so his "sound effects" people have something unique stashed away in their fx library.
Tamlin, I was not implying that the film is better than the book. Those books are so dense and so epic, it's understandable why no one tackled it until now. And it would be so easy for Hollywood to make a screen version that would not only be tasteless, but never capture that root feeling Tolkien spins in his epic myths. I'm just so glad the films are not an insult to Tolkien's work, and are, in my opinion, a job well done considering the masterpiece source.

Trent

Trent,

Yup! In a way the film does justice to the books too...I thought the Helm's Deep scene in the 2nd movie actually brought it home even better than the book! Each film has its golden moments! Wow, I still haven't been able to say "I'm back", LOL.

I was thinking what if someone scraped chalk down a chalkboard and ran the sound through an amp and an envelope filter, hmmmmmm......pretty close to the Nazzies sound!

Tamlin,
I'm pretty sure there were some human screams mixed in with dolphin noise in that sound effect. Having worked on a lot of monster screams in our computer games, I have a pretty good ear for it.

The movie was outstanding, however, it had two identifiable flaws. First, it kept ending. Over and over and over. There were four or five distinct "tear-jerker" "final" scenes, which added a good 20 minutes to a LOOONGG movie. The other criticism is a little more goofy. I don't recal ever seeing a movie with more, um... how do I put this....ahem... homoeroticism... in my life. There were audible guffaws in the theater a couple of times due to this.

Nevertheless, a great movie, a great series of movies, and worth every penny to go see!

Capslock

Hey,
I can't wait to see it. I just finished reading the LOTR trilogy, and loved it. I've seen the first 2 movies, so i guess I should expect something spectacular!
Kevin

My whole school can't stop talking about it and all my friends want to to see it really badly .I've watched the first film and made small attempts at reading the books but i must say ,the movies are good and tolkien must have had a brilliant mind to write such outstanding books that have adapted to amazing movies .

I'd rather see Freddy v. Jason *which I did* then Lord of the Rings. Since everyone and their Aunts are seeing LOTR I will go see it too. It is not one of the movies that I say "Got to see it, NOW!". I do enjoy the action it brings.
smile.gif

Travis
ghostface.gif

There are plenty of folks getting chopped in the LOTR movies that should satisfy even someone like you, Travis.  My kids had a good time with me afterwards for all the jumping I did during the movie.  At one point (I don't remember what scene because...) I had too much & threw my hat over my face.  Even so, this was certainly one of the best movies, ever, IMHO.

Saw it.
Loved it. (Best movie ever.)

If you haven't seen this movie, go see it now.

can anyone get the wav. for the scream

I saw it on Sunday. It was awesome, but say what you like, I have had a soft spot for horses most of my life, and I'm still in trauma.. *has convulsions* And this question is driving me nuts: It DID have "No animals were harmed in the making of this film" in the end credits... right?

FlytrapGurl, I don't think you need to worry about that, most all of that was done digitally, there were only a few scenens where horse owners from all over NZ came out, got costumed up, and 'rode into battle'. Once the arrows started flying, it was digital. (To a point)

My comments:

Breathtaking... I will have to see it again.

I never thought Olephants were THAT big! Kudos to the effects team for that, and Minas Tirith... I wouldn't mind livin there.

And Eowen (sp?) I would hope that Faramir (sp?) never makes her mad later in life. She has skills.

Absolutely one of the best movies I have seen! I left VERY impressed.
smile.gif
They did the best job that they could do with following the book.

Loved it!
Cole

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ Dec. 23 2003,08:11)]FlytrapGurl, I don't think you need to worry about that, most all of that was done digitally, there were only a few scenens where horse owners from all over NZ came out, got costumed up, and 'rode into battle'. Once the arrows started flying, it was digital. (To a point)
*brightens* Yayyyyy...

*dances*

Back