What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lophophora williamsii

One of my Lophophora williamsii bloomed today, and after taking a few pics, I used a fine paintbrush to collect pollen from the anthers. To my surprise, the filaments responded to the disturbance and curled inwards quite rapidly (like Drosera tentacles). I have never read, nor can I find sources referring to this behaviour anywhere
Am I just being a total cactus noob, or do quite a few species do this?

Cheers,
Amori

PS. I live in the UK so no, I'm not doing anything illegal by cultivating this species.

It's a reaction that is natural and selfing is unlikely but possible. It should just be the plant recognizing that reproduction may be taking place. A fun plant to cultivate. (NO, not fun like that)
At one time I had collected all variants of L. williamsii, L. friccii, the other 2 species names escape me but......anyway. Good luck to you, P.S. they love a little lime tossed to them from time to time.

Joe

holy crap.. i googled the cacti in and.. holy crap!

book me a one way flight to the uk!

Irritable stamens are not unusual in cacti - many turbinicarpus and lots of others have irritable stamens and they are fun to watch, occasionally they almost grab the bristles of the brush.
LW will make plenty of seed and the plants will grow steadily and well.
two other names are v. koheresii, jourdaniana plus a few others. There are also variagated, monstrose and cristate versions.
BR
Chris

Ah, I knew I could depend on the folks here.
Currently I have 7 L. williamsii, one of which is a var. caespitosa (not cristata, duh me). You can tell I like this genus; that and I've done hours and hours of homework on them. I plan on purchasing other species/varieties too, but they're slightly pricier. I guess seed is the way to go. Thanks again for your help!!

caespitosa is a mutli heading variant. Actually my favorite, it makes large clusters.

Joe

You want a dead plant?

smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif

Joe

neat....looks alot like Peyote. we did this big drug unit in helth last year...this is how i know
smile_n_32.gif
Alex

neat....looks alot like Peyote

yeah you could say that
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

that is peyote, unfortunately our drug laws are stupid and can't grow it even though it was here long before the white man came. i've been opressed by the white man long enough! (oh i'm 15/16th white... $%@#)

you know your allowed to grow all the other mescaline-containing cacti but not this particular species? our laws are so stupid....

i've been opressed by the white man long enough!

ive got to much other stuff going on to opress anyone, leave me out of this $%#& IT! besides dont yah know everyones 1/16th Cherokee...........................why in the heck is it always Cherokee?

LMAO, OMG i AM 1/16 cherokee (but i look 100% irish!)

how did you know LMAO!

wow...thats wiered. i didnt even know it was peyote!! scary...

LMAO! actualy as far as i know im 100% white. 1/2 of my family has only been in the country for a hundred years or so(mostly Norweigian with a lil German thrown in) the other halfs been around since well before the civil war which leaves me with a mix of English, Irish, Scotish some more German and Norwegian and who really knows what else. i prefer the term: Mutt if your going to use something other than American.

on the cherokee thing................if i hear one more person tell me "my grandmother was a Cherokee princess" im going to blow my top. atleast pick a different freaking tribe if your going to feed me a line of BS
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

*DISCLAIMER: If anything i just said affends you in anyway please read my signature and buy yourself a helmet. i live on an indian reservation and have for almost 25 years. im quite familiar with native american history*

I thouht you had to be a NA to live on a reservation?

lol nope. infact IIRC 1/8 the Rez is owned by "whites" as alot of natives sold their land. lived here almost all my life as has my wife who is also a mutt with no Native blood. about 1/3 my highschool graduating class was white(or atleast mostly so) this is the USA yah can live where yah want
smile_n_32.gif
besides if there were no whites here there would be nothing for buisnesses and before yah get angry at that state ment i suggest yah come up here for awhile and actually watch the way things work. the tribes kicked out their tribal chairman a couple years ago because he was sneaking money out of the cookie jar so to speak. they found out, kicked him out and at the next election voted him back in so he could keep doing it. i have yet to see a legitimatly 100% tribal buisness run smoothly on its own for more than a year. well i take that back, there is one but hes looking to move it off this Rez to the next one down the highway cause he is having heck of a time finding empoyees that wont steal from him. its dang near insane some of the stuff that goes on here.

ugh why not just integrate into society. i mean come on. if i was a NA i would. yeah they got a bad deal, they got totally screwed, but that was a looong time ago.

i'd rather be a corrupted american than a spirtual native american any day. I don't see the logic in worshipping a corn-god.

Back