What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
I am in search of a decent greenhouse. I would rather it not be one of those "portable" things with the plastic wrap arround them. Any how i have about a 4' X 7' X 7' high area to work with. and money wise... pretty wide range. but i am trying to stay arround $400-$600.
thanks,

I thought this was an interesting site... it really got me to thinking.

Greenhouses.

I bought this one http://www.greenhousekit.com/lgallinone.htm over a year ago and it's still holding up well. Because it's just a single sheet of plastic cover over it, it can be expensive to keep warm in the winter.

I've also added thermostat control to the fan and humidistat control to the misters. Very cool, well worth the extra investment. The controls were purchased from Charley's.

I don't think you're going to find anything that isn't "plastic wrap" in that price range.

It really depends alot on what part of the country your in with regard to what kinds of covering can be acceptable. In mild weather areas a simple 2x4 frame with fiberglass covering can be very effective (although not the prettiest thing to look at). Areas where it gets cold then it is worth some sort of insulating covering. I think more importantly is climate control. Don't skimp on heating, venting, cooling/humidifying. If possible have automatic backup systems as well... There is nothing like finding out you killed dozens if not hundreds of plants because you went for the $25 thermostat instead of the heavy duty $75 thermostat designed for greenhouse use.

My normal recommendation is for people to think seriously about putting in a greenhouse. It is often cheaper, easier and safer to convert a single room or make an enclosed room in a basement.
Tony

Back