What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for vft call "giant" of the uk.

I have been looking everywhere for a venus flytrap plant that is difficult to cultivate called "Giant", which I belive it was cultivated in the UK.

If you have one, I can trade ether of the following plants for it:

A small heliamphora heterodoxa x minor

A Big Mouth venus flytrap

I will like to trade preferably with someone in the US.

Thanks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Byron @ Dec. 22 2004,10:43)]I have been looking everywhere for a venus flytrap plant that is difficult to cultivate called "Giant", which I belive it was cultivated in the UK.
That could be any number of VFTs. Following is a list of VFTs called "Giant" something or other for which I have found photos. The links to those photos are found at
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Dionaea.html

“All Red Giant”
“Cook’s Giant”
“Czech Giant”
“Dingley Giant”
“Dirk Ventham's Giant”
“Don Elkins’ Giant”
“Giant”
“Giant Rosetted”
“Giant Traps”
“Goliath”
“Low Giant”
“Pink Traps Giant Form”
“Purple Giant”
“Red Rosette Giant”
“Red Rosette Giant x Burgundy Trap Giant Upright”
“Slack’s Giant”
“Southwest Giant”

In my experience all of the Giant varieties are very easy to cultivate. The one you are probably reffering to is the Dingly's Giant which is kind of picky.

Well, the one I am looking for is the one call "Giant". You have it on your list.

I already have the "Dingley Giant", the "Low Giant" and other Giants like the "Big Mouth" and "Big Vigorous".

So the "Giant" is the one I am looking for. I just stated that it was difficult to grow because the UK nursery that used to have them told me this.

It's not too hard to find the "Giant" here, it's an easy grower. There is only one giant that I know of which is the one produced by the BestCarnivoresPlants. Or sometimes people refer to the "Giant" as a South West Giant but I hear that is an easy grower too.

The Giant VFT I am reffering to is one that was sold by Exotica Plants (http://www.exoticaplants.com.au/welcome.aspx) it was some time ago, and I just remember that they are in Australia, not the UK. Now they apparently only sell nepenthes and heliamphoras.

The Giant VFT I am looking for is mostly green, getting just a little reddish in the center of the trap.

The South West Giant looks a bit like the Big Vigorous exept that the Big Vigorous grows redder traps and more traps as well. When it comes to trap size they both reach the finish line at the same time.

However, to me, the king of all flytrap cultivars is the Big Vigorous. I just love the way it grows and the shape that it takes.

So the Giant I am looking for is the one which was sold by Exotica plant some years ago.

I only remember "Royal Red" and "Regal Red' that they used to sell. I think they got rid of all their stock to concentrate on neps and helis, as you said.

Cheers,

Joe

Back