What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

schloaty

Staff member
Hi all,

I have some male campanulata pollen on reserve from Robin, but I'd like to pollinate at least a few of the flowers with something else, too.

I'd like to try, if I can get it, maxima pollen, jacquelenea pollen (yeah, right) or lowii.

But, even if you don't have these, make me an offer - 50/50 seed split will obviously apply. Here is a list of what I DON'T want to use:
any nep with tubby pitcher (amp, rajah, etc), aristolochioides, gymnaphora...

I'd like to select for waisted pitchers, or neps with funnel-shaped uppers (like inermis or eymae).

Well, I have a 'Holland Hybrid' in bloom and a Gubler's Hybrid, (which may be maxima x alata) in bloom:

Gubler's hybrid

Hey Steve,
How is it as a grower? Easy? Those uppers look pretty cool. I would be willing to take you up on this.

Assuming you are talking about Gubler's, (although 'Holland Hybrid' grows the same, I like the Gubler better). Extremely easy grower. Grows outdoors in low humidity, lots of direct sun, highland conditions with temperature drop at night. Only weird thing with it is that after it blooms the vine seems to die, but it always has 3 basals growing before that happens. Don't know why I always get 3, but it has done that the past two years with two different plants. The current blooming plant already has three basals. I have had this plant for 5 years.

lol gotta love thoes glubers!
cool.gif

Hey Steve,
Yes, I was talking about the Gubler's.
From what you describe, theoretically the offspring should be rather temperature tollerant (as camp is a lowland that many report grows well as an intermediate - though I haven't tried myself).

Also, camps are very prone to making the basals, too, so that trait should be carried through. Sounds like a plan! When do you think your pollen will be ripe? My spike is still growing out, and I'd guess at least a week before the flowers open.

My lowest flowers have just opened, so it will be blooming for a few weeks. I can send you the whole spike and you can keep it in water. I kept a ventricosa spike alive for a couple weeks like this. It didn't open flowers all the way to the top, but it did keep opening them for a couple weeks. This way you can fertilize multiple times and the pollen should be very fresh. It really helps to get a large amount of seed from each pod. PM me your address and I'll get the stalk out this Monday.

Back