What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

looking for N. khasiana male

I have a female and would like a male N. khasiana. Will trade cuttings or have many other plants available. PM me if you have a male in the USA.

My female is flowering again. No one has offered a male. Are there no male plants of this species in cultivation? I am still willing to trade or what do you want?

I have a big plant thats a few feet long but has refused to flower in the few years I have had it ;/ sooo can't help you there.

I gather most of the plants in cultivation are female based on my observation that you often see posts on forums about people looking for pollen for their N. khasiana. I don't recall seeing anyone offering N. khasiana pollen. You could try a search of the cpdigest archives though.. maybe something will turn up.
Tony

yes, average ratio of nepenthes are 7 female:3 male

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ April 21 2004,9:56)]yes, average ratio of nepenthes are 7 female:3 male
huh? Where did you get that from?

Aside from the fact you can't use any kind of ratio for plants which have been in cultivation and distributed via cuttings for the past 20 years..

I'm guessing the ration is more like 7 male:3 female. It is a common thing for pollen donors looking for owners of female plants, but not the other way around...
Peter

Ok so let me get this straight.. you guys figure the sex ratio in Nepenthes is 7 male to 3 female. And your basing this on the highly scientific study of how many posts you see of people looking for pollen vs those with pollen to give away.

ok so what if only one plant had been brought into cultivation and everyone has that single plant only? I guess the ratio would be 10:0? What if 2 plants of opposite sex are in cultivation but after 20 years of making cuttings 7 people have clone a while 3 people have clone b. Does this make the ratio 7:3 when it started at 1:1?

As far as I am aware no study has been done to determine the normal percentage male:female. If there has and I missed it.. please enlighten me as to where.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ April 22 2004,11:29)]As far as I am aware no study has been done to determine the normal percentage male:female.  If there has and I missed it.. please enlighten me as to where.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ok so let me get this straight.. you guys figure the sex ratio in Nepenthes is 7 male to 3 female. And your basing this on the highly scientific study of how many posts you see of people looking for pollen vs those with pollen to give away.

As far as I am aware no study has been done to determine the normal percentage male:female. If there has and I missed it.. please enlighten me as to where.

No, I've seen it on a few websites, and I THINK in a book by charles clarke. I will go look for both referances now, and let you know.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]ok so what if only one plant had been brought into cultivation and everyone has that single plant only? I guess the ratio would be 10:0? What if 2 plants of opposite sex are in cultivation but after 20 years of making cuttings 7 people have clone a while 3 people have clone b. Does this make the ratio 7:3 when it started at 1:1?

Good point... I didn't say of a particular species, just average ;p

found one of about 5 references:
Nepenthes sex ratio (click)

On the page, it says:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nepenthes plants have set genders so sexual reproduction can only take place if 2 plants, a male and a female, are present. The small flowers nave no petals, 4 sepals and stamens or pistils at the center of the flower. The flowers are not showy; therefore Nepenthes are usually admired for their beauty of their pitchers. The male to female ratio is about 75:25 percent. Female plants are not as common as male plants in the Nepenthes world.

No offense to Zongyi who is a nice fellow.. but anyone can make a statement on a website.  This does not make it a fact.  Where is the reference to the scientific literature that details the study?

BTW incase your wondering.. Charles Clarke Nepenthes of Sumatra and Peninsular Malaysia Pg. 69
In closed habitat the sex ratio is closer to 1:1 with a small bias AGAINST males (approximately 2male:3female) although in some species such as N. gracilis the bias was significant with even more females to males.
In harsher open habitat the ratio was more males to females in some cases all male.  Charles hypothesizes that the males are better able to live in the more hostile environment.  Which is a reasonable explanation for why no females would be found when surely they must exist somewhere. If this is the case and in certain habitat one sex has the advantage for survival over the other these ratios should be thrown out as the overall ratio since they are biased by environmental factors and not an indication of the true ratio present in a seedling population.

be careful what you post
Tony

smile.gif
Darn... You always prove me wrong!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ April 22 2004,3:17)]
smile.gif
Darn... You always prove me wrong!
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif