What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for Ficus

EdaxFlamma

The Consuming Flame
Really strange I know... I am looking for specifically what is known as a Banyan Fig (Ficus benghalensis) but the main characteristic I am looking for is the mother plant's tendency to produce aerial roots. On that note if you have a picture of a mother Ficus that isn't benghalensis yet demonstrates that it has the potential to be an aerial root producer I will definitely consider it. I have tried seed before but I don't think I trusted my source. This time I am looking for cuttings if possible.

The reason I put this in the CP trading post is because CP's are what I have to offer. I have some P. "Tina" I can get rid of soon and some N. truncata seedlings for something close to what I'm looking for. PM's are just fine : )

Thanks a bunch guys!
-J.P.

I think most Ficus produce aerial roots if in humid enough conditions.
Not sure what kind I have, but need to trim it.

Ohh... I have a variegated Ficus benjamina that willingly produces ariel roots after it reaches 2-3 inches tall. It doesn't fuss or drop leaves very easily, but it's not the easiest of the Ficus benjamina clan. It's cuttings shrivel and die after rooting, whether in low or high humidity.

-Clue

I have one but the leaves started to drop off this winter.
tree.jpg

most of the house plant type ficus will produce arial roots if the environment is humid enough.....it seems more an environmental thing than something particular to an individual species or two in the genus

Oh shoot...I was hoping I could offer you the dead one in my bedroom. lol

Haha! Thanks for the offer PAK : P Could hack off the top and see if anything comes back. I have had a very generous offer and have found what I am looking for! Thank you everybody!

Could I ask this to be closed?

Back