What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for advice!

• Thread starter Pacrun1593
  • Start date
Got this today, it was a long time dream for me to get my very own Nepenthes, this is what I'm starting off my hobby with. I believe this one is N. Gaya. Im asking for general advice for a household Beginner/Intermediate carn. plant grower.

Also a couple of questions:

•Approximately how old could it be?

•Does it look healthy?

•Should I put the plant outside when the tempeture is over 15°C, to let it get its delicious nutrients?

•How long until I'll have to repot this, and is putting it into a mix of live Sphagnum moss and sand alright?

•Advice for when it goes into bloom.

Thanks [emoji4]
a555559744f69ad5fcf8412020e81f1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

That plant looks like it is anywhere from 4-6 years old, it's hard to tell because not all Nepenthes grow at the same rate. It does look healthy. https://www.carnivorousplants.co.uk/resources/nepenthes-interactive-guide/ This is a good resource for telling what temperature Nepenthes will like. Most people recommend repotting every 2 years, did you repot yours after you received it? If not then I would recommend repotting soon. Potting them in our live sphagnum will be good, the sand is not necessary. It will be at least a couple of years before it goes into bloom.

It looks to be healthy enough as it is. It is probably a year or two out of tissue culture. Animal protein is not strictly necessary for nepenthes to grow, and if you plan to move your plant outdoors you should expect a period of adjustment, depending on how long your outdoor growing season is it may not be worth the adjustment period. Your plant should be fine in the pot for a while. Generally you should repot when the plant begins to dry out the pot too quickly for you to conveniently keep watered. I'd recommend perlite over sand for your mix. Your plant is quite a while away from blooming, a few years at least. There is not anything you need to do special for flowering.

Your plant looks really great right now!

It looks like your plant is in standing water though. I recommend not leaving it in that much standing water - for a day or two of the week max otherwise let it dry out so it doesn't get root rot. Was it growing somewhere humid and is your house humid? If it starts drooping its leaves put it in a plastic bag to slowly acclimate to lower humidity. If the leaves don't droop, you're good.

If you stop getting pitcher production, give the plant more light. If pitchers continue being made, leave it where it is. As for repot, did you get the plant through the mail or did you buy it in person in a store potted like that? That will determine if you need to let it get over any sort of shock for a little while before repotting.

Mainly for CPs (at least for the 'easier' ones): if they look like they're great, leave them be. If they start looking bad, change it up.

Back