What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a sundew

OK, so here's the deal. I live in Phoenix AZ where the summers are hot (hottest is around 117
confused.gif
f.) and dry, and the winters are pretty mild(seldom below 40 f.) So i was wondering if there is a sundew that i can grow outside that can withstand that temp range, of coarse i would have to cover it so the humidity could rise, and would have to leave it in the shade most of the time. Can anybody help, or am i stuck to the terrerium.

Might want to try one of the tuberous dews. They would probably grow well during your fall/ winter/ spring months and then go dormant during the summer.

biggrin.gif

I live in Scottsdale and will be very interested if you find out that can take any outside exposure.
I have grown pineapple plants under the citrus trees for over a year and they looked fine until a new puppy moved ion the backyard and ate them.

Ill try growing some d. auriculata and see how well they fend.

Petiolaris droserae especially paradoxa and petiolaris will be able to grow well if they are kept warm in the winter. These plants would grow well with the temperatures you mentioned in the summer. They can also tolerate lower humidity than most tropical sundews.

those are the conditions pygmys love! 40-60* F. in the winter, and they have a summer dormancy, when the weather is hot and dry.

Back