What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long time resident nep

There's this nep on my windowsill (been there for a long time) that occupies a blank spot in my mind. I have no recollection when i acquired it, where, from whom, and most importantly, what its identity is.

It hadn't pitchered for more than a year until recently, and now it has produced a basal shoot and a pitcher. The pitcher looks vaguely like a spotted alata to me, but the shyness to pitcher suggests it's not an alata. Any ideas?

The pitcher
200506-CP-Mystery nep-pitcher.jpg

The whole plant
200506-CP-Mystery nep.jpg

N. philipines (sp?)? I saw it on Andreas' website I think.

N. philippensis? I would be surprised, but like i said, it's a complete blank. I suspect it's a random hybrid for that reason, one that i picked up along with something else. I'm not usually so flaky, and i also usually label pots. Maybe it's an alien surveillance device disguised as a plant.

Notable features are:
bump on the front bottom of the lid
fuzzy stems
a single spur on the pitcher
corrugation of lid (there's a "down-dented" part in the middle, culminating in that little bump at the front, with the "up-dented" area on either side)
undulate, obovate-lanceolate leaves (is that the right term?) with long stalks

I'm afraid that's the limit of my taxonomic eye

Those leaves are most unusual. You'd probibly have to wait until Tony, Trent or some other Nep fanatic comes along

Looks alot like N. mindanaoensis but I would hesitate to simply just go and label it that because it's really hard to rule out that it isn't some mix of a hybrid. Does that ring any bells?

The lid just simply looks deformed with that indented. Perhaps something happened as it was developing.
Tony

Maybe a hybrid with stenophylla? Probably not, but still a chance.

Just to follow up... Tony, you're spot on as usual. I rearranged my grow area and found that i had labelled the pot itself ... N. mindanoensis it is. I like the pitchers on it, but i wonder why it has been so shy to pitcher and now is suddenly doing so.

Would it be because we are at roughly the peak time of year for photoperiod? Is that a forked sundew I see?

It looks like the rare N. adnata because of the traps and the brown fuzz on the leaf sides. It seems to be larger than the tiny N. adnata, perhaps it is a hybrid?
N. mindanaoensis also seems to be a good guess.
It also may be the spotted variety of N. phillipinensis which is typically green.

Kinda reminds me of

(N x lowii x alata)x (N. burbidgeii x gracilis)

Kidding of course!!

Nice looking plant there Nathan.

Kirk
Fitchburg, Mass

Back