What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long lost favorite games

I was going down memory lane when I remembered one of my favorite (actually I didn't really like it all that much since I didn't get it) games.
Anybody know the name of a computer game where you're a black cat that climbs in/out of apartment windows and then walks from one window to the other through clothing lines all while people throw things at you from open windows? when you did enter a window, I remember each one was different... in one there was a fishbowl and you could go inside and try to get some fish, in others you just walked around the room, etc.
and for some reason I associate that game with the color purple... I'm not sure if the inside of the apartments were purple or if the outside or what but something was purple.
Anyone know what i'm talking about?
oh... there's also this other weird one... you're on top of an ostrich like bird and you fly and try to shoot other people in ostriches... or something like that... anyone?

The game of the ostriches was an arcade game called 'Joust'. It was pretty fun, back then.

I remember joust.
I use to play River Raid, Demond Attack, Rampage, and Spy Hunter. I also remember Defender and Pac man.

he he he... flying ostriches! thanks!
I've always hated pac man. I suck at it :p

Oh man, I used to go on Rampage binges all the time back when I was in grade school... I would stay up all night playing it with my friends and then we'd finally ask ourselves, 'Does this game ever end!?' and then fall asleep at like eight in the morning. I spent a fortune (for a seven-year-old) in rentals on that game.
There need to be more games out there where you just smash things. The new versions of Rampage just aren't as much fun, I can't figure out why. Maybe I just long for the days of 8-bit graphics.
~Joe

I love Joust, all time favorite classic.
Some other favorites Dig Dug, Asteroids, Ms. Pac-Man, Hang on, Outrun, etc.

You rented the game? I had to spend all my quarters at the arcade. Rampage is one of those games that is no fun when you play by yourself, you have to have a parter.

I use to play a game called lost luggage, anybody remember that one?

Joust!
Takes me back to my misspent university days.

Little floating platforms and the guys would materialise on each one, the hardest and quickest guys were called shadow lords.
You had to pick the eggs up before they hatched and became more difficult oponents and the lava hand would reach out to try and drag you in if you flew too close.

Defender was another classic.
Crappy graphics when you think about it but I got off on the sound effects, especially when you detonated a smart bomb.

Another I liked that also had bad graphics was Tempest, you were this thing that moved around the outside of a geometric shape and spider things came up the middle. You had to shoot them before they reached the outside wher you were.

I am still a sucker for almost any platform game, Donkey Kong was the first game I ever got obsessed with and used to miss school to stay and play.

A few months ago I downloaded MAME and tried out a bunch of the old arcade games I remember loving. Then I found out when you have unlimited quarters, arcade games can be finished in about 10 minutes. I'm not sure if I feel ripped off now or not.
smile.gif

There was a game I used to play on the C64... you played a nurse in a maternity ward. All throughout the ward there were cribs in which you'd have to place babies that were crawling around on the floor. The place was filled with various baby hazards... electrical sockets, rat poison, things falling off tables, open elevator shafts, etc. You'd have to catch the babies before they reached them. As the cribs would fill up, the babies would keep popping back out, while more and more babies were brought into the room.

There was no way to win the game. You'd just see how long you could go before the carnage started.

God I wish we had games like that today.
smile.gif

I never was one for the arcades, Ozzy. And I certainly didn't have the means - back then my allowance was like $1.50 a week. It was all about my NES and Genesis back in the day.
Since MAME came along I've had exactly the opposite experience, endparenthesis. Well, some games are pretty trivial, but I've been trying to get past level 28 on Bubble Bobble for nigh unto four years now. It's the scourge of my existence. Or Burger Time? I can't even make a dent in that game.
In my experience it's the new games that are painfully short. I finished Resident Evil 4 in just over seven hours, and I really felt like I was taking my time. I'd get more for my buck going to a nine dollar movie!
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There was no way to win the game. You'd just see how long you could go before the carnage started.

Sounds like it would have been more fun to just sit back and let things rip!!!

If you're really a glutton for punishment, they now have those games out for the Gameboy Advance SP. You get several of the arcade games on a cartridge. The one I got (in a moment of misplaced nostalgia) has Defender, Robotron 2004, Joust, and Sinistar on it. It was bad enough playing them at the arcade, but on a 2½'' by 1½" screen is worse.

I have alway enjoyed Rampage, Donkey Kong, Pacman/Ms Pacman, and Asteroids. I can not remember any others or at least there names.

Back