What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Localized Burning - Aloe

Hi Everyone,

My mature Aloe Vera plant seems to have some very localized burning on two of the newer leaves. It's only in the middle of these two leaves that show the damaged tissue.

Does anyone know what could cause such localized burning? None of the other leaves on the plant seem to be affected. Even the very newest leaves in the middle of the rosette are unscathed.

As a note we did have a 100+ degree day yesterday. However, I would think the entire plant would be burnt if it were heat related?

Here are a few photos:
https://flic.kr/p/upG4SE

As you can see only two leaves seem to have damage.

Here is the entire plant:

My best guess would be too much direct sunlight & heat. I have a few varieties & all of them have these spots from when they were given direct sunlight here in scorching TX where 100+ can be common. If the entire leaf is brown & soft its most likely due to being too wet. Others may have another cause but in my opinion aloe seems happier with indirect sun changing its dull brown/red leaves to vibrant green, firm, & full leaves.

I'm sure a lot of plants in Northern California got damaged not only by the heat yesterday, but the fact that it followed such a cool May. Plants that normally would have been fine with the heat were not used to it. Around here at least, our high temps in May were about 10 degrees below normal.

Thanks Knuckles and Randy.

I believe you're both right. With your recommendations I'm going to move the aloes to the east side of house where they'll be blocked from the harsh afternoon heat, but still get 6+ hours of direct sunlight.

On a side note, today in Northern California we're having much cooler temperatures with even a little rain. I've noticed both of the Aloes you see in the photos above have collapsed their leaves creating a tighter cluster. When it was HOT yesterday the leaves looked much more relaxed and spread-out. Has anyone else experienced this? Could just be in my head :crazy:

Back