What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LLano Estacado Wildflowers

Hi everyone. I've recently taken to stopping and snapping a picture of any wildflowers as I'm driving about, and this morning the wife and I took a hike around our little state park and took quite a few photos. We've had a pretty wet and mild spring so the flowers are really popping up right now. I thought I'd show you what we have in my neck of the woods seeing that many of you are from much more gentle parts of the country.

First let me give you some background. I live in a geographical area known as the Llano Estacado. Essentially it's a gigantic mesa/plateau spanning over West Texas and Eastern New Mexico. It's known for having very little elevation change (II think it's somewhere around an average of <10ft change per mile) and it sits higher up than the rest of the great plains; our elevation is 4000ft. We get very little in the way of rainfall and an average of <20%RH, this and constant winds over 20mph have a habit of desiccating most plants. However, there is a lot of beauty if you look for it.

Abronia fragrans
AbroniaFragrans.jpg

Calylophus hartwegii
CalylophusHartwegii.jpg

Carduus nutans
These were over 6ft tall
CarduusNutans.jpg

CNutans.jpg

Convolvulus arvensis
A highly invasive species believed to be brought in from contaminated seed. It only lives where there's quite a bit of water for the area, primarily drainage ditches and crops.
ConvolvulusArvensis.jpg

Cryptantha flavoculata
CryptanthaFlavoculata.jpg

Curcurbita foetidissima
Just a flower bud, but I'll probably post a pic of the full bloom later on. I think this a a very interesting plant. Known as buffalo melon or buffalo gourd.
CurcurbitaFoetidissima.jpg

Dimorphocarpa wislizenii
DimorphocarpaWislizenii2.jpg

Erigeron spp.
ErigeronSpp.jpg

Gaillardia pulchella
Firewheel
GaillardiaPulchella.jpg

GaillardiaPulchella2.jpg

Hedyotis acerosa
HedyotisAcerosa.jpg

Glandularia bipinnatifida
IMG_7990.jpg

Linum lewisii var. lewisii
LinumLewisiiVarLewisii.jpg

LinumLewisiiVarLewisii2.jpg

Melampodium leucanthum
MelampodiumLeucanthum.jpg

Melilotus officinalis
MelilotusOfficinalis.jpg

Oenothere pallida subspecies gypsophila
Primrose
OenotheraPallidaSubsGypsophila.jpg

OenotheraPallidaSubspGypsophila.jpg

Opuntia phaecantha
Prairie prickly pear
OpuntiaPhaeacantha.jpg
\

Physaria fendleri
PhysariaFendleri2.jpg

Psilostrophe tagetina
Paperflower
PsilostropheTagetina.jpg

Quincula lobata
QuinculaLobata.jpg

Solanum eleagnifolium
Silver leaf nightshade
SolanumElaeagnifolium.jpg

Solanum rostratum
Buffalo bur
SolanumRostratum.jpg

Sphaeralcea coccinea
SphaeralceaCoccinea.jpg

SphaeralceaCoccinea2.jpg

Sphaeralcea spp.
SphaeralceaSpp.jpg

Thelesperma megapotamicum
ThelespermaMegapotamicum.jpg

Tradescantia occidentalis
Spiderwort
TradescantiaOccidentalis.jpg

Tragopogon dubius
Goat's beard
TragopogonDubius.jpg

Verbesina encelioides
VerbesinaEncelioides.jpg

Xanthisima spinulosum
XanthismaSpinulosum.jpg

Yucca faxoniana
Just barely catching the bloom. I'll try and get pics of a full one soon. It's quite impressive.
YuccaFaxoniana.jpg

YuccaFaxoniana2.jpg

BONUS REPTILES!!!!

six lined race runner, or maybe prairie racerunner... Very difficult to photograph.
IMG_8541.jpg

Horned lizard
DSCN5058.jpg

Also lots of these guys.
IMG_8488.jpg

IMG_8506.jpg

IMG_8513.jpg

And this one looks very similar to the others with a different patterning.
IMG_8530.jpg

Difficult to tell if the 1st one is a Six Lined or a juvie of the Prairie subspecies although I wasn't aware the Six Lined made it out that far west. Love those little guys. The horned lizard appears to be P.cornutum. P.solarae has a larger more well defined crown and the other species native to NM can't really be mistaken with the other 2. I think the next 3 are Uta stansburiana but some could also be Sceloporus species . I'm terrible at ID'ing the native "fence lizards" and their kin. The last one is an Earless Lizard, probably Holbrookia maculata or 1 of it's subspecies. Great photos, very jealous of what's lurking in your backyard.

He wears the ring of power! :ohno:

Also, those are some really cool pictures.
the lizards blew my socks off

@Johnny: There was another race runner type lizard as well. Couldn't get a shot of it. Almost identical shape and size. But without stripes, has a very mottled almost checkered pattern. They're pretty common. I'll try and get a pic if I ever have a camera handy for the three seconds they sit still.

@nem: and I love this ring. It's actually the ring I talked my wife into letting me get married with. It's. ..precious to me. ..

And thanks to both of you for the compliments on the photos. I bought a vivitar series 1 lens a few years back, and I'm just getting to using it.

Last edited:
@Johnny: There was another race runner type lizard as well. Couldn't get a shot of it. Almost identical shape and size. But without stripes, has a very mottled almost checkered pattern. They're pretty common. I'll try and get a pic if I ever have a camera handy for the three seconds they sit still.

There's about a dozen species of Racerunner/Whiptail out where you are. The checkered species are super cool. So tough to get a decent photo of though.

Last edited:
Well, how about it? We caught one in my back yard this afternoon.

20150525_140208.jpg

20150525_140316.jpg

Such cool little lizards. There's a parthenogenic population of these somewhere in the Southwest. I believe that some species are also able to change their sex depending on population levels.

The New Mexico State reptile is a parthenogenic whiptail.

Back