What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live sphagnum moss

I have a small supply of live spagnum moss, which i would like to propagate faster.

How much of each segment of living moss if needed to continue growing?

If one were to coarsely chop LSM in a food processor and spread the result over an inch or two of peat in a 10X20 greenhouse flat, would it result in numerous more strands growing?

Hey scott,
As far as I know (and have experimented by spreading it to other pots) just some pieces of moss are all that's needed to start the "innoculation" method. I usually just pull of a "clump" and pick it to pieces with my fingernails to get some in a newly potted plant's pot.
When making a sod flat I wouldn't spread it over peat though, just more chopped LFS. Once you done the shredding it will be very important to mist it daily and keep it very humid. The little pieces of  live moss will be VERY susceptible to drying up and dying.  I assume you're using a Jiffy box, if so cover it with saran wrap or the clear dome if yours came with it. If you can  keep it bright, moist and cool it should do better for you. The live NZ sphagnum moss in the highland chamber overflows the pots, the stuff in the lowland chamber grows but not to overflowing like in the cooler highland conditions.

Edit: I just remebered a few years ago a forum member did this on a large scale and used a plastic kiddie wading pool from Wal Mart!
smile_n_32.gif

It seems to me like new moss starts from the chopped, dried LFS I buy at the store - I don't even need to add my own live strands as long as it gets plenty of humidity and light. But the live stuff gets going faster. I just pull the growth tips off of my established mounds and push them into the soil - most of them take. Sometimes the moss in my outdoor pots dries out in the sun, but if I stick the dead stuff in some soil new growth points come up a few weeks later. Swords has the right idea with temps/light/humidity/medium. As long as you don't puree it, you'll certainly get something coming up. It might be worth the trouble to hand pick a couple of growth points and set them aside though.
~Joe

my secret to growing LFS, put some in a Utric pot that you absolutly DO NOT want it to take over. it spread fast in those situations. cant get the dang stuff to grow where i want it to but put some somewhere where i dont want it and it over flows the pot............

I've found that watering the moss daily helps it grow faster. When I put together CP multiplantings or windowboxes for shows or presentations, I chop up the live stuff I've pulled from other pots into bits in a cup. Then I strategically place the chopped bits on top of the soil and around the plants and give it a good wetting. It still grows slow, but drizzling water on all the bits of moss daily speeds up the growth to where I can have a nice layer of live LFS on the planting in about a month to two months. This was done indoors, under fluorescent lights. Outside, you might have to water it more.

I hope this helps!

Check out a parallel topic:

Sphagnum Cultivation

In my limited experience, I have found that the dried LFS eventually "becomes alive" after awhile, just be being wet and in front of a SE or SW window sill.

Currently, in addition to that live Sphagnum, I was also sent a gallon baggie of it and I just keep it wet and sunned. It is growing taller. Can you imagine if I had it outside in direct sun?

My plan is to take a little bit of it and place it in all my pots and containers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 23 2005,5:07)]In my limited experience, I have found that the dried LFS eventually "becomes alive" after awhile, just be being wet and in front of a SE or SW window sill.
Yes, I have found that, too.

But the New Zealand LFS I get at Lowe's and Home Depot, when it sprouts anew, seems less substantial than the stuff I find in Texas.

I like to use plastic wrap with one corner open for heat ventilation vs a plastic dome. Seems like the light penetrates better than some of the thicker pieces of plastic cover. Plus, after awhile if mold or algae start growing on it, you can just put a new one on.

Back