What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live sphagnum moss

Hi,

I am putting a bog around my small pond. I am going to make it a natural as possible. I am looking for living Sphagnum Moss plants. I have some seeds from Irish Moss coming, but am unable to find the Sphagnum Moss. Anyone know where I can find some?

Copper

Hey there Copper, I have access to an enormous quantity of sphagnum moss. I will be getting a fresh load this spring sometime. If I have my own little webspace it would be easy to put you on a waiting list, but perhaps someone else can help you out faster than I can.

hhhhhhhm , i know a couple of places that sell this live . but eventually if your REALLY patient the moss will grow live naturally .

Where ever you get it, be sure that your sphagnum is not field collected . Barry Rice's FAQ talks about that.

Thank you for your replies. I will be laying a lot of Shagnum Moss down when I prepare the soil. I will need to prepare the soil and keep track of its PH due to a low acid content around here. Hopefully the Shagnum Moss will eventually catch on.

I am planning on a small duel pond. The first section (already in place) is approximately 150 gallons and primarily for plant growth. The section section will be approximately 400 gallons and pimarily for fish and larger plants. The two sections will be joined by a waterfall and stream. The larger of the ponds will be surrounded by a bog on three sides. The bog will be approximately a total of 50 sq. ft. Start small.

My biggest problem at this time appears to be that my oversized bird dog (a 100 pound German Short Hair) likes to sit in the center of the existing pond.
confused.gif
Maybe the fish in the larger pond will teach him a lesson by feasting on his tail.
biggrin.gif
Makes for an interesting picture.

Hey,

Received plants for my pond today and they were wrapped in Sphagnum Moss. The moss is dr, but I have rehydrated it and placed it into a heated, lighted planter. Some of it os already greening so I believe I will have my moss. Thanks again to those who answered. Life was made easy.

R. Witt

You might get more help here.
smile.gif

Well, first things first. True moss does not produce seed, but spoor.

Secondly, some spiecies of sphagnum are very rare and feild collection is very bad, but other spiecies grow like gang busters and field collection is okay, but not for the average person. These days, a lot of componies that sell live sphagnum and peat have this awsome feild replanting program that lets them get a whole new crop of live sphagnum every 5 years or so per location. Canada(sp?) is proticularly skilled in this methoid of resorce renewle and technically their moss is "wild", but they own the bogs. Mostly, be carefull where you get non-green varients from because all of those are thretond from over collection.

Also, the lovly thing about this moss, it is changes it's own enviornment. All you need is some water and some spoor and eventually a single cell thick webbing of baby sphagnum begins to grow. It's first goal? Changing the pH of the water
smile.gif
Then if focusses on bulking up. By then it's pH lowering factories (special cells) are fully working and it forcusses on building supplies of various bioweapons to combat illness and such. Once it is astablished it can make it's own spoors, the new spoors have an easyer time getting a hold on things and grow much faster. Cool yes? Anyhow, you won't need to worry about pH once the moss is growing well.

Finally, Sphagnum is just an awsome little plant and worth learning more about. Try running a search and you may find more info!

Back