What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live Sphagnum Moss Propagation

NZ and Chilean Sphagnum is harvested using sustainable methods. All the more reason to use them.

Here's some of the Mosser Lee I bought:

P1260089.jpg

P1260090.jpg

Mosser Lee has different types I believe and the stuff I first got was from Wisconsin but that stuff up there looks like Chilean/NZ. The LFS I just bought is "a product of Luster Leaf" never heard of that company. It's good stuff though, Chilean.

All mine ever grows isalgae...

i just bought two bags of Lfs from home depot to do my terraium with, dont know what the brand or type is (seeing im at college right now) but ill see if it sprouts anything.

I think I see... some.. spore pods? In my LFS.. I don't really know what they are but that's what I'd think they were from their appearance. It looks kind of alive though... white bulby things.. I'll try to get pics.

Chrono,

Here is a pic of my S. falcatulum (NZ) culture with sporophytes:

sphagnum-falcatulum-month1.jpg

Have a look at my sphagnum page for images of what yours may look like when it first begins to grow

How to grow Sphagnum

Av

Here is a rare NZ species, S. subnitens...

The D. binata was a stowaway,

This species is very slow growing and a very, very dense grower, interesting that it is the only species I have from NZ in which a CP popped up,

Notice the brown tips on the moss... an indication that my water level needs to be higher for this species.

IMHO, of all the Spagnum species I have grown, this is the ultimate for CP use and obviously a natural home for D. binata.... kewl :)

S_subnitens.jpg

(sorry, but its so rare that anyone wants to talk about sphagnum LOL)

Cheers'
Av

I wish my minata would grow upright like that. Mine gets so large that it cannot support itself and topples over. It is the "masterson's Dragon" type.

Nice looking moss BTW. Especialy the thick carpet of green LFS with sporophytes. AWESOME carpet going on there.

Well thank you for the kind words about the moss and the D. graomogolensis

Cheers'
Av

Nice sphagnum! I always thought brown tips meant an excess of minerals that collect in the tips as they are "wicked" up.

JLAP,

That has not been my experience, If I let the water level drop I get brown tips... If i raise it they go away... the water level demands seems to vary upon species, humidity, light, temp, etc etc... so it is a dynamic not a static variable.

I don't know where the mineral theory comes from, I have never seen any documented research concerning it ???

my sphagnum/cp's have always been given RO/DI water which test out to 0.00ppm TDS

Cheers'
Av

Interesting! I guess I learn something new everyday! I just remember hearing it from anecdotes.

I know, I have heard it as well, but.......

:scratch:

Av

I like sphagnum moss a lot... it's so green and I dunno I just like it.

Oh and the things I saw weren't sporophytes. I have no idea what they are, I'll try to get a picture but the camera ran away temporarily.

I never really knew that there was more than one type of sphanum moss. x_x

I totally agree with ya...I love moss....its like a nice dense carpet. :) Sphagnum especially when nicely taken care of is a nice green little blanket.

Back