What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

live spaghnum moss

I have a potted d. spath and an unknown nepth where the lfs has sprouted. My question is, at what point for either of these plants is the moss competing with the plant for space? Should I repot and remove all the living moss, or just remove what is around the plant crown? Finally, I'd like to transplant the moss, how deep do I need to dig it out and should I put it on a bed of peat or more moss?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Overgrown can be a problem when using live moss with Drosera species, but oftern the plants really prefer the medium. One good method for it's use is to mill it before use in a food processor. Eventually though the moss will gain footing. At this stage, I simple remove the moss from around the plant, or tamp it down. If you don't have too many plants, this is possible, and even desirable with some species. Live moss has strong antifungal and antibacterial qualities, and is one of the best indicators I know that things are good with your culture: moss reponds quickly to the same poor conditions that can jeapordize plants: poor water, inadeqaute water supply or the presence of salts in the substrate. If the moss is in good shape, the plants should be too.

I found that my Live moss lifted my baby nep seedling outta the pot! Hehee... it was ok tho... funny stuff.

umm, hi! if your planning on getting rid of some, zip lock it and package it, let me know how much it will cost you, and ill mail you a money order! lol, i just setup a 10 gal tank not too long ago, and i want live moss in it, i would also like to get a jump start on getting live moss in it, if not, its ok,
smile.gif
thanks!

ccrider

Ccrider if you can find the compressed bags of long fibered New Zealand Sphagnum (if you have an orchid shop you'll find it for sale very easily in two diferent sized bales). Keep it moist and in bright light and the dormant spores in the moss will sprout in a month or so. Also, don't keep it too hot (temps above 85-90*F) for too long or it stops doing so well as it really preffers temps below 80*F. A summer heatwave is fine but LFS doesn't grow well for the longterm in my lowland terrarium, it comes and goes but doesn't hang around long.The LFS in my highland tank is growing just awesome! I've never had a problem with it hurting the plants but small drosera will definately be lost-I actually don't mind too much it's kind of neat to peek through a pot of moss and see little red capilaris poking out here and there!  But then, I like moss and liverworts (Bryophytes) as much as I like CPs and Orchids!  
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the replies all,

Sorry, but I do want to keep what I have, just wanted to move it elsewhere if it will be a problem for the plant. Like Swords, I really like the look of it.

Thanks again,

Back