What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss

That's the right stuff. That's also the crappiest looking live LFS I've ever seen. But hey, it's just $5. :p Granted it's dormant, but even dormant moss should look better than that. In fact, it looks like the seller chopped off the living few inches and is selling the dead, or almost dead, undergrowth. I don't see one single growth point in that picture. It would be great for potting media, but if you want to grow it as a top dressing you can do so much better than that.

Lay it on appropriate media, like LFS or peat, and keep it watered. Put it in full sun after acclimation. Enjoys frequent overhead watering.

The Sphagnum I send out is by the gallon, very green and fluffy, and not elongated like that. Only once have I sent out dormant sphagnum that was not attractive, but I gave the person who asked for it fair warning that it looked like crap since it was winter, and he was happy anyway. I'm not saying I can provide you with any at this time; I'm saying that I would not buy the Sphagnum in that link when you could do SO much better. Last year I sold a gallon of it on the NASC auction for $15 bucks ($10 cheaper than what I usually sell for via PM). Not only that, but I *think* my bag weighed three pounds, not two like in that auction. I REALLY cram it in there, while the seller looks like he fluffs it up a bit. Maybe Macamus3 can tell you of the quality of what he won :)

The bog was sprayed with an herbicide to kill weeds, but it looks like the Sphagnum is coming back. I should have plenty this year for the NASC auction. I suggest you pass on that joke on Ebay and wait until I can provide the forum members with the real deal in the next NASC auction. Assuming it comes back in quantity by then (It looks like it will.)

Here's an old picture of some of the stuff from the bog in front of your cabin. The moss I send out is always (except for that one time mentioned above) of this quality. I'm not saying get it from me lol, I'm just using myself as an example since I am blessed with a natural bog and can send out live Sphagnum often. It's very fast growing, as you'll find out when you get your own :)
DSC02028.jpg

That's the right stuff. That's also the crappiest looking live LFS I've ever seen. I guess for $5 that's as good as it gets :p

Clint - apparently you didn't read the entire listing:

ebay said:
You will not find longer strands or better quality moss anywhere.

lol.

xvart.

I've seen worse...

As for growing it... just keep it well watered in bright light. It'll take some time.

He's got one on me. I can't provide the long strands he does :p

how can you tell where the growth points are?

Cause there are green tops in the bag I got

Also, I put about 2 inches of peat moss and 3-4 inches of that bag ontop of it with 2 inches of water

Is that right?

In the picture I saw on the link, I could see no growth points. If you received growth points, then they look just like the picture I posted.

so what does a growth point look like? a top green point?

Also, is the way I put the peat moss and LFS together correct for growing?

JLAP I'll buy some LFS from the nasc soon since I want some :D

Yes. The growth point is the point where the moss grows from...... it's pretty self explanatory. I don't know why you laid down a 2-3 inch layer of moss. I thought you were trying to grow it. Spread it out thinly for maximum coverage. Two inches of water seems excessive.

i got a live sphagnum, it sure is fluffy, but not green. its kinda brownish paleish green ever since i got em, so i put it in a container, threw it outside. 3" of peat moss&LFS mixed together. and top 1" with live sphagnum with alittle sprinkle of peat moss. have about 1/2 an inch of water floating on top. its in full sun for about 4-5 hour. then all partial shades. donno if its good.

I wish i could access some sphagnum moss like that right out my back door lol

Back