What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live from the Greenhouse (2)

N. spathulata - definitely a lowlandable highlander!
Nepenthesspathulata01-060620Large.jpg

N. gracilis
nepenthesgracilisseedlings0606.jpg

And some Ant Farms in all of their leafy splendor:
Lecanopteris sinuosa
Lecanopterissinuosa060618_1Large.jpg

Lecanopterissinuosa060618_2Large.jpg

Lecanopteris pumila.
Lecanopterispumila060618Large.jpg

Great stuff in both posts, Hans! Congrats on the new brood of gracilis!
smile.gif

Capslock

i love the Lecano's, wish i could get mine to do that well

Thanks for the nice words, muchachos!

As to the lecanopteris, I 've found that treating them exactly like any lowland swamper nep (raff, amp etc.) yields best results. While I my other ant plants do not like it too humid (I had one quite large Myrmecodia sp. New Guinea rot away in a very wet terrarium), all my ant ferns (lecanopteris sinuosa, l. pumila, l. luzonensis) absolutely thrive in steamy surroundings.
I keep them in the shadehouse, which is open to the elements. It's been raining continuously for five or six weeks, and the lecs have almost doubled their leaf production, making taller and taller leaves, all brimming with spores, too.

How do you grow yours?

H

been growing it with my highland neps, maybe i should move it in with my D. falconerii for awhile and see if it helps

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ June 20 2006,12:46)]been growing it with my highland neps, maybe i should move it in with my D. falconerii for awhile and see if it helps
My initial knee-jerk reaction to this would be "get them away from the highlanders asap!" When my highlanders really start taking off (around late October), that's the time the lecanopteris start pouting; and henceforth, nothing less than a warm and womb-y terrarium will do until May.

really and thats odd cause the person i got it from says they have done wonderfully with his highlanders. he must be the exception, will move it in with the D. falconerii and paradoxa this afternoon, they are in about a constant 85F with 90% humidity

...What's that weird and vaguely fungoid looking thing in the bottom picture?

thats where the ants live, its part of the fern

Yup, that's what it is. With L. pumila, it getsta be real big, too: This baby weighs in at a hefty three feet plus. It resides in a tropical plant nursery in Southern Taiwan.....I didn't even dare to ask the price of this divine creature! Speaking of prices, what do L. pumilas retail for in the States? Here in Taiwan you pay up to twenty smackers US for a three-inch specimen....

$20-30USD for a small but established specimen in a 4-5cm pot the problem. in the states is that there seems to be alot of demand and lil supply. i recieved my lil guy in trade for Utrics about a year ago so it didnt cost me anything
smile_n_32.gif

its pretty bad when the most reliable source for them is ebay
smile_m_32.gif

Might be just a wild thought, but......considering the extremely slow growth of l. pumila (I guess the big guy in my previous post is at least 20 years old), many of those that make it onto the market are poached from the wild, which would explain their scarcity.
As I said, just a wild thought, ...I'll be happy to be proven otherwise.

By the way, mine's making spores these days! Little yellow powderbags at the tip of the leaves - on the upper side, at that!

Back