What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lithops thirsy

My lithops is all wrinkly looking and it's had plenty of water and it just won't drink. What's wrong with it?

Poke it gently. If it's squishy, then it's rotted from too much water and is collapsing on the inside. If it's still firm, then make sure you're watering it from the bottom up, the roots are often very long. Overall though, it's best not to water them too much.

Uh oh...it's quishy...does that mean my lithops is gonna die. It has gotten a lot of water lately from the rain. I hope it doesn't die.

A healthy Lithops should have the feeling of a grape soft, yet firm. If it is like a rotten fruit squishy then yes, it is rotting and is probably too late. You may try emptying the pot (if it is individually potted) and let it dry out, plant and soil.

Joe

It just started raining really hard and it got the full blast >.<. I'll start planning the funeral.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]it's had plenty of water and it just won't drink
There be your mistake I'm afraid.  
confused.gif

Lithops need VERY little water or they rot.  
When I HAD a lithops garden, before Ollie tore it up, I almost never watered mine.  I misted them from time to time and rarely lightly watered.

Its a common mistake for people to overwater lithops.

I didn't overwater it. I just let it get too much rain. Do you think I could stop the rotting by keeping it mega dry?

Watering, rain, it's all the same thing to the lithop. You could try pulling it out of its soil gently and drying it, or just put it in a bag with some dry sand. But at this stage there may not be anything left to salvage...you'll find out when you dig it up. Good luck, I hope it's still okay.

I'll dig it up tomorrow morning and then I'll know. I'll let you know tomorrow.

I decided not to check cuz the rotting may stop since the soil has finally dried out. I'm hoping for the best.

Lithops need no water in winter in cold climates and also reduced water in hot summers when they also will tend to dormancy. Most watering is needed in milder autumn weather and perhaps a little less in mild spring weather. Leaving these little master of thirst out in rain is a very dangerous practise for these little plants.
Didge
http://mvtpages.nl/TheMesembs/

I've said it before, and i'll say it again...as far as lithops are concerned, if you try to take care of them, they're going to die.
smile_n_32.gif
They need a dry spot, lots of light, and to be forgotten about darn near forever.

Ummm wow 7 months and this post is alive again? Odd. Anyway the lithop croaked soon after. I'm going to get another one on my next trip to home depot. This time I'll neglect it as much as possible!
smile_m_32.gif
I just realized...these smileys creep the hell outta me.

I had a Lithop last year. I did not water it or let it get rained on. It seemed okay for about two weeks, putting out a new set of leaf-things(whatever you call them?). Then suddenly it turned a lighter color and died. I want to grow some but what is the trick? Mine seemed like they got sunburned. Is it possible they were grown in a green house that was a little shady and when I stuck them out in the hot full Florida sun they got toasted?

Back