What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lithops pics, sorta

• Thread starter Merlin
  • Start date
I've recently decided that Lithops were worth owning so I went to the local nursery and bought three.  The stick-ins that came with the plants didn't give much info:  "The green thing in the pot is a plant.  It will probably need some light and water.  Re-pot it, if you feel like it".  Well, like that, anyway.  

I really like to know what plants I own, so I started to look on the internet.  Okay, I'm sure a lot of you know about Mesembs but I sure didn't.  For those who don't know, Lithops is one genus of 30 or more in the family know as Mesembs.  There are lots and lots of Lithops-like variations-on-a-theme in the family.  Do a Google image search on "Mesemb" or "Conophytum" and you'll see what I mean.

All that said, I've still only got an ID for one of my plants.  In the picture, the one in the back is Pleiospilos nelii (I think).  Of the other two, the one on the right looks like a typical Lithops and the other looks like a Lithops with a curved top.  Anybody have an an ID for them?  Thanks.

PICT0041a.jpg

You've got some nice plants there!
wink.gif
Seriously, the nursery you bought them from knows what they're doing to some degree.

I can tell you there are TONS of Lithops varieties. The longest list I could find is here. Most people, myself included, avoid the painstaking task of identifying them and just enjoy them a little less, i.e., without the satisfaction of knowing what specific varieties they are.

Somewhere on the link above, there is a page with a book about Mesembs that I have not read that *might* have some sort of identification key that you may find of use.

Also, if the nursery you bought them from can tell you where they obtained the plants, you may want to try asking the source if they know what varieties they are.

Good luck, and don't overwater them!
smile.gif

Chris

Bottom right... karasmontana... I think. Bottom left... fulviceps v. lactinea... I think.
confused.gif

Thanks, guys, for the quick response.  I decided to take Chris' advice and sent an email to the grower.  I'll post the names if he sends 'em to me.

In the meantime... Dyflam, how about Lithops marmorata for the one in the lower left?

http://www.mesembs.com/lithops/images/v305.jpg

Back