What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting

How long do you keep your plant under light? The whole day? How long under the sun? Under a flourecent light? etc
cool.gif

my VFT get light from sunrise to noon, because theyre on a south east facing window
they are doing quite well
biggrin.gif

hope that helps
Hellz

I have mine by a window and under a light setup. They get sunlight from sunrise to noon and artificial light from 6 AM to 9 PM. The light setup is on a timer.

8 hours is way too short unless they are in dormancy. Think of it this way, we are on spherical planet that gets sunlight roughly 12 hours a day on average. I'd say go up to 14 hours.

Since VFT's grow in nature only in Carolina, you can calculate the length of the day by it's coordinates on the map!

Coolio Ive been doing sun rise to sun set too
smile.gif
Its encouraging that what you are doin is right

[b said:
Quote[/b] (borg @ May 05 2004,7:35)]Since VFT's grow in nature only in Carolina, you can calculate the length of the day by it's coordinates on the map!
I actually have mine day times based off the Carolina time table, but I multipled the day length by a fudge factor to compensate for the fact that the grow lights aren't as good as real sunlight. Then again in real life the plants have to deal with cloudy days. I guess it works out either way.
smile.gif

I usually put mine out from the time I go to school, which is about 7, until it gets dark at night.

I keep mine out the whole day. Although I bring them back inside when the sunsets.

It varies depending on the season. I give them about 10-12 hours of light during the summer to 6-7 hours in fall. Of course, that's just for the fluorescent lamp. As far as sun, I put them out when I get up (about 10-11am, usually), and then bring them in around sunset.

From 7 am sun till 6:30 pm sun with  a 70% shade cloth.
cool.gif

Back