What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lighting q...want ur A!!

hey guys i just got a 20" aquaruim light. its a 15w fl which gives off a bluish glow. its on a 10 gallontank lid. Think this willwork? i want opinions, experiences, facts from sites , whatever. Let me know what you think!!

You can probably grow D. adelae OK under than and some simple Utricularia, but that's it.

Get a shoplight if you want to broaden the genera you can grow.

I doubt it,I'd use a shoplight or my favorite cfls are good too,wire up 3 with sockets using 26 watt ones that have warm coloring then just enjoy.

You could grow a lot of different plants with 2 of those lights on the tank.
I did for years till I upgraded my lighting.

adalae are nice plants. I got about 6 of them going right now. Each about 2-3 inches tall. They haven't really busted out leaves yet but I'm sure they will as I see new ones growing.

A 4 foot fixture is like $7 and the bulbs another $3. So for like $10-15 you can have a light set that could cover maybe 2 10 gallon tanks and will last at least a year before you need to change the bulbs.

Also if you want some adalae I'd be willing to just mail you a pot of it that I got. That would give you 2 plants to start with.

A good rule of thumb with fluorescents is to use as much as you can. It's pretty hard to go overboard with them and hurt your plants in any way, other than not being bright enough. Use compact floros either the long PL ones for reef tanks ( i love these!) or the cheaper 26 W screw in types compared to the odd sized/wattage tubes. You should give your plants a lot of light. "Low Light plant" doesn't mean they grow in the dark, 15 watts wouldn't do much IMO.
As long as humidity remains high (keep the lid over the tank and keep those fingers outta there) the bright light won't harm them, old leaves will fade but new growth will be stronger and often more colorful. In the case of Sundews red dew was always my goal-rarely did I get it with normal florescents but PCs gave it to me! Nepenthes leaves and pitchers became much more colorful under intense light too.

Back