What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting height fix

Hey guys,

My setup has hit a roadblock in the form of a height problem with my lights. Here is a picture of my setup, mind you it's not complete:

WholeTank.jpg

As you can see my plants aren't close enough to the lights and they are different heights (however that Sarr will be out by spring)
What is the easiest/cheapest method for me to get my plants closer to those lights.

Any help would be appreciated,

Z

make a plant stand from pvc (for legs) and eggcrate.

or buy rubbermaid containers and sit them on top of it.

Agreed.  Just be sure to cut the PVC straight and use strong shelving that won't warp appreciably over time or under the weight of additional plants. You may want to add non-degradable substrate at the bottom for support (e.g., clay pellets for hydroponics, appropriately colored gravel).  If all you can find is white PVC, you can spray paint it black or another color to make it aesthetically pleasing.  

If you go this route, you may also wish to make a two-tier setup with alternate heights.  This way, you can keep fast growing/lower light plants on the lower tier, and keep short/high light plants on the upper tier.

We all confront this issue.  The worst thing is when you have an old, terrarium-adapted plant that grows too big and has to be moved (either to another terrarium or out of one)  ...... this can be a real bummer for the plant (and grower)!

Yep their homers all right.
I have a shipment from Cook's that should be here in 4-6 buisiness days so do you think it's best to wait b4 putting in the PVC shelves?

Any help is appreciated,

Z

you should put them in and have the pots and soil ready before you get the nepenthes.

i agree with justlikeapill, have your growing chamber set-up ready for your neps before they arrive. so wen you get the plants, all you have to do is repot them (if necessary) and let them alone to adjust to its new enviroment. hope that helps

thx for all the advice,
I'm getting all the plants in 3" pots so does that mean I may still need to repot or were you talking about bareroot plants

Z

Z, if they're coming in pots, you don't need to do anything for a while. Obviously, you should have pots and soil ready for bareroot plants, but potted ones, you're better off letting them get used to their new surroundings for a while.

Capslock

Thx Caps,

I was getting a little confused thanks for clearing it up

Z

Back