What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting Confusion

Vbkid

Getting There...
So I've read the lighting stickies and searched the forums, but still find myself with a few big questions. I plan on just using a small aquarium tank (2'x1' max) just for growing a few drosera and sarracenia. As for my questions:
A) If I use say 2 ft fluorescent bulbs that match the 5000k, 90-100 color rating, how many of these will need to be above the tank?
B) What are the cheapest fixtures/lights for this setup. I've scoured my local home depot and lowes and had difficulty finding and double tube strips and the single tube strip was 16 minimum. This seems high from what I've read they should go for, but maybe I'm wrong.
C) Finally how hot will this setup make my tank and will anything other than a fan be required to cool it.

As always, I appreciate all the help I receive. Hopefully I can finally get this set up!

Thanks,
Kyle

I'll just point out one thing to start. Most sarracenia are NOT well suited for a tank or artificial lighting.

Jason

A) I don't know.

B) I've seen some 2-light fixtures w/o bulbs for 9 bucks.

C) No clue, depends on how many lights you have, but usually they don't radiate as much heat.

I agree with Wurm, most people need to understand, sarracenia will grow outside ANYWHERE, except antarctica. All they need is full sun, distilled water, and time.

Thanks for the heads up on sarrs. I know the same is true for fly traps, but didn;t know how much sarrs preferred the out doors.

sarrs can never have too much sun. they brown, crisp a bit when theyre adjusting but thats about it.

Back