What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting Ballast Problem

Vbkid

Getting There...
So about 2-3 weeks ago when I updated my grow rack I bought a second 2x 2ft fluorescent ballast. Already the first small section of both bulbs in it have burned out, and I think that has caused both of them to dim. Is the ballast bad? Some bad bulbs? I will say that it gets humid in the rack, but this hasnt cause problems for the older, identical ballast before.
thanks,
Kyle

All lamps require adequate cathode heating for
proper lamp operation and lamp life. If the cathodes
are not adequately heated, premature lamp end
blackening will result. Inadequate cathode heating
may be due to:

1. Improper seating of lamps in the lamp sockets
2. Damaged/broken sockets
3. Broken/poorly crimped lamp pins
4. Too great of socket spacing causing poor lamp
pin connections
5. Damaged lamp cathode(s)
6. Ballast lead wire not connected at ballast or lamp
socket
7. Inadequate ballast filament voltage

Source: Phillips Fluorescent Lighting Troubleshooting Manual

I would swap bulbs with the known good light. If the problem follows the new bulbs... its the bulbs. If the problem stays with the new fixture... it's the fixture.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/fluorescent-lamp.htm

2x 2ft fluorescent ballast

That's a pretty uncertain specification.

2ft fluorescent lamps are available with either
- T8 = 18 watt or
- T5 HO = 24 watt or
- T5 HE = 14 watt
specs.

So for two 2ft lamps you might need a ballast with 2*18= 36 W, 2*24= 48 W or 2*14= 28 W rating.

What's the wattage of your lamps?
What's the wattage of your ballast?

Wattage rating of lamps and ballast must be the same.
Voltage rating also.

If a ballast can be used for different wattage lamps (there are some on the market), it should have different connectors for different wattage, that must be connected to the lamp accordingly to the wiring diagram printed on the ballast.

Jesse,

I may be wrong but going by some of his previous postings, I think he is referring to the complete fixture/luminaire and not just the ballast.

Av

I may be wrong but going by some of his previous postings, I think he is referring to the complete fixture/luminaire and not just the ballast.

In a complete lighting fixture he should have a built-in ballast that fits. Indeed, when answering I thought that he just replaced the ballast or purchased a ballast for lamp sockets already present.

But if a complete new lighting fixture is affected...
...perhaps the bulbs are not the best (i.e. if the "complete" lighting fixture was super-cheap).

BTW: Bulbs always get darker at the ends of the tube while wearing out, as the ends are operating at the highest temperatures.

for all my damp area applications, I use a good smear of dielectric grease on the connections.
Never expect a full life from a bulb used in a greenhouse with high humidity.:-(

Sorry just got back. I purchased a 2nd completely new fixture. And I got 2 2 ft Sylvnaia Daylight bulbs...same bulbs as I use in my same older lighting ballast.
I hope this answers your questions!

Back