What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light Challenged

I don't like to just flat out contradict people but I must disagree with Valydius on one point - a high CRI is not appropriate for plants. At least, "the highest possible CRI" is an inappropriate criteria. CRI and color temperature are factors having to do with the average color the light puts out. Plants can use light coming from several ranges, so there isn't a single color that you're looking for.

I'm actually thinking of switching from a full 6500K setup to adding 3 5000K's for a 50/50 mix.

I've read on multiple sites, however, that higher CRI is better for plants as "100 CRI" = sunlight. I've read on this very forum that anything 75-100 is acceptable - the higher the better. Futher, on the plant light primer posted here, it reads "A 'perfect' light source would have a CRI of 100."

Can anyone explain why high CRI is inappropriate for plants?

Capensis- Do your plants get the right spectrums of light with those bulbs? And why do you have the front covered it is sad because now you cant look at your plants :(

-sigh- I have no idea if they are or not, someone threw away the original package of the bulb in the big lamp and my dad found a random in the black one. I figured with foil all around, it can get even better light, just incase. But I can still see through the top, though.

Back