What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light bulbs

could i use just regular 100watt screw in light bulbs?

mike

Yes, they are good for heating a terrarium! - As a light source they are horrible bad.

Joachim

You need the grow lightbulbs which are blue in colour, but give out a bright white light. They are only really good for preventing things from going dormant by supplementing the sunlight on say a windowsill though.

Yup, florescent or florescent grow bulbs are best (the florescent grow bulbs fit regular screw in fixtures, at home depot may have them, I bought mine from "brite lite")! I've actually got some slack for the lighting I'm using, but it's working famously! I just picked up some florescent grow bulbs from a lighting store. one 90 watt, and two 40 watt. They do let off a little heat, but they only keep the terrarium temp 5 degrees warmer than the rest of my home and the plants have been in close proximity to the lights for long periods without getting burnt.
smile.gif

I just found a halogen flood light 90watt bulb.  if i put it about a foot away will that be too much light?   and boy does it give off heat!

mike

Sorry halogen lights are not suitable for growing plants. The light spectrum is not correct. And as you have pointed out, they give off alot of light. I suggest you turn it off before you have crispy plants.
Tony

ok im not using halogen.  my terrarium is now on the windowsill and does not get very much DIRECT light but does get some.  would a 15 watt flourescent light help the lighting[/B]

Back