What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LF Red Sphagnum. Trade Passifloras, or Begonias, or Agapetes, or Abutilon or....

This is really overkill, but since I already have the photos, as well as tons propagated...

I'm looking for some of the very red sphagnum moss. I'm giving my mom a new Nepenthes and I wanted to have some for that new plant, as well as her existing Nepenthes. Red is her favorite color, and she was intrigued by some minor red coloration on some sphagnum I have.

So I'm interesting in trading something for some red Sphagnum. Some possibilities below, but I have a lot of other things as well, if these are not of interest.

Passifloras:

Passiflora 'Purple Haze'. Rooted cutting. Link to a friend's photo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/max_parker/9250868900/

Passiflora antioquiensis small seedling, plus Passiflora 'Mission Dolores' unrooted piece (enough for a number of cuttings). 'Mission Dolores' is P. parritae x antioquiensis. Both have long peduncles (up to 2 feet), and are self-fertile with delicious fruit. Both are hard-core cool-growers--ultra-highland by the Nepenthes classification.

P. antioquiensis (Bill Harbert's photo):

P. 'Mission Dolores':

Passiflora 'Sunburst'. Rooted cutting. Flowers are small. Leaves are interesting as well.

Passiflora sanguinolenta. Rooted cutting/small plant.

Passiflora sublanceolata hybrid. Rooted cutting, assuming they root... This is a Passiflora foetida relative, so it has the sticky bracts surrounding buds, flowers and fruit, that led to suggestions of carnivory (generally not accepted right now). The flowers are much larger than P. foetida.

Begonias:

Begonia 'Little Brother Montgomery'. Decent size rooted cutting (bareroot). This plant has been hardy in D.C. (zone 7). It looks like a giant rex Begonia but is not--it's easier to grow and much bigger. It does well inside or out. The photos below are of my mom's grown as a houseplant, to show growth over well under a year. I don't remember if the pot is 8 or 10 inches. It's big plant.

Begonia 'Tornado' A couple small plantlets. My favorite rex. Here's just one leaf:

Begonia bogneri. One plant, not in bloom. Here's an example of a blooming one:

Others

Aristolochia macroura. Rooted cutting. This plant usually blooms in the Spring, but it can bloom small.

Lotus jacobaeus, black Lotus. very small seedling. Here's a mature plant:

Agapetes serpens plus Agapetes 'Ludgvan Cross'. Two small just rooted cuttings of A. serpens, plus an unrooted cutting of it's hybrid, 'Ludgvan Cross'. These are basically cool growers, but they can tolerate some heat as long as nights are cool.

Agapetes serpens:

Agapetes 'Ludgvan Cross':

Abutilon 'Little Imp'. Very well established rooted cutting. An Abutilon megapotamicum hybrid. A mature plant:

Neomarica caerulea. Rooted fan.

Cyathea medulliaris, black tree fern. The tallest tree fern, and one of the most beautiful. Yet hard to find.

These are quickly approaching the size where I think they can be shipped. Here's just 2 weeks growth:

And as mentioned, I do have a lot of other things as well.

Last edited:
Wow love those pasifloras they are beautiful :) wish i had red sphag to offer yah but i tried to order sum and they sent me feather moss :( wasnt happy and they refused to exchange it..grrr. So i myself have been hoping to get some when i have some funds. Goodluck

Back