What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lexan...  anyone use it?

Has anyone used lexan to build a chamber. I would like to build a chamber and am considering this material in 1/4 inch thickness. I have seen it in clear, but I would like to find it in white for the sides and back to reflect light better and clear for the front doors. What is the largest sheet size it comes in, and how pricey is it?

Thanks,

Jason

I dont know anything about the lexan,
but I have a comment about "I would like to find it in white for the sides and back to reflect light better"

instead of white, a much better wall surface is reflective mylar! its a thin plastic sheet, thin as paper, can be cut with scissors and curved and folded, and it is VERY reflective, like a mirror..
does a great job of keeping all the light inside the chamber..then it doesnt matter what color lexan you use for the walls!

here is 4' by 10' of mylar for $12.
http://www.bghydro.com/page/BHOS/PROD/MY/HLMY

well stocked garden centers will also have it.
its not super easy to find, but its out there..
Scot

Lexan works good, I believe its fairly expensive though.

As far as reflective material; For a lot less money go to WalMart and pick up a couple emergency blankets from the sporting goods Dept. It is mylar with a minor insulate for making a reflection should you happen to get stranded or lost. Very cheap!

Joe

Emergency blankets work great for refection. I have one behind my shelf.

I used lexan for my grow chamber front pane itys being used as a sliding door. Its about 36x34 and was 40 bux. Its rather expensive if you buy it at a home depot or lowes. I got mine at a plastics shop so it was cheaper. Also if you plan on bonding the pieces together you're going to need a special glue. I've used weldon #4 and weldon #13 with good results.

Hey, I'm looking into making a chamber with plastic sides, but I'm going with a conventional acrylic. Lexan is nice for greenhouses and such because of it's high light transmission, but costs about five times as much as acrylics, and that's at wholesale prices. As far as reflectors go, mylar is probably the best bet. But if you don't mind looking around, you can get aluminized aquarium backing with a reflective side. It's kind of like tin foil, but thicker so light doesn't bleed through. I've heard it's a little more reflective than your average sheet of mylar. Anyways, a good distributor of plastic is www.professionalplastics.com. Let us know how things turn out!
~Joe

Back